Bucket list ideas??????

Seadee
Occasional Contributor

Bucket list ideas??????

Hi, Just found this site. I'm a 46yr old mum who was diagnosed with non smokers lung cancer, Stage 4, in May this year.I make the point of being a non smoker as most people ( that was including me) don't realise that anyone can get this disease and the number of non smokers getting it appears to be rapidly increasing for some reason.It sucks that any of us get cancer, for any reason, so a warm Hi to all. So far, have only been on chemo and last scan showed things had not progressed too much.I haven't been too sick with it, so have been managing some nice holidays between chemo. While I have come to terms with the diagnosis, I will also cling onto hope.If I get down, I make sure I always have something to look forward to.Having said this, does anyone have any fun (and feasible) bucket list ideas? Dee
21 REPLIES 21
Jules_68
Contributor

Re: Bucket list ideas??????

Well Im teaching myself French. I kept on bumping into the same mum and kids today shopping and then at her/my car.......I said to her "im not stalking you" we laught and she said she would tick it off her bucket list.
0 Kudos
Seadee
Occasional Contributor

Bonjour, Good on you.Hope you get to try your skills in France.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Travel,bridge climb, bushwalk somewhere like Mt Warning,dance classes, zumba classes,helicopter ride,hotair balloon ride,whale watching ,ride a bike or motorbike ....You may have done some of these already. I haven't seen the Great Ocean Road but may in the future.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Some of these ideas may not be appropriate at this time if you are not physically up to it ,maybe later. Then some may not be your cup of tea anyway.
0 Kudos
leanne3561
New Contributor

A 'Bucket List' can be a very personal list, my only suggestion is to keep adding to it so you never reach the end!...Leanne
Seadee
Occasional Contributor

Hi Silly, Appreciate the suggestions 8-) .Yes, have managed to do some of these (even swum with whales with my son last year) and hope to get some more travel in.Unfortunately, can't do the more energetic ones as am incurable.Have to look into doing the Great Ocean Rd.Putting on sombreros and having a Mexican feast with friends today...just for fun. Dee
Desy_Cares
New Contributor

I have made two bucket lists. One for stuff that is big and one for things that are small. Big ones included Vietnam - Spending time with a local family, Fiji spending time at a village, Laos spending time at the Elephant orphanage and this Christmas we (my 11yr old son and I) are going to Papua New Guinea (if Qantas isn't stricking). But the best ones are my little ones: Cooking from a receipe (which I never do) using very exotic herbs and spices. Who would have known that you cook curry without Keens Curry Powder??? Read a book for one hour every day no matter what. Pamper myself completely. Bath, Facial, Pedicure, Manicure, Blow Dry my hair and put on makeup - seems like a stupid thing, but had never done it all at once because who ever gets enough time to look after ourselves. Write a letter to each of my kids. I actually got a book for each of them, which is about You & Me, which I have to complete. It goes through lots of questions about your life with your kids and you write down all the things that you remember. So far I have done one for my partner of 3 yrs, but it is still on my bucket list to do one for each of my kids for Christmas. I included photos of a lot of the memories with Scott and when he read it, he was choked up the whole way through. I love my red wine, so I put it on my short term bucket list to give it up for a month (it was dry May for me, not dry July) and donated the money I saved. Was a tough month but I did it, which means I never have to do it again, hehehe! I even have a stupid little bucket list things like going for a hole day without say No. That is soooooo much harder than you think with four kids in the house. The best bit is you don't tell them what word your not going to say for the day. My 11yr old has worked it out when I am doing this for the day and then starts to ask me questions to try to get me to say No. Cheeky little so and so!!! He is his mother's son. Try a day without saying Yes. That was probably the hardest. Especially at work. Don't know if my ideas will help. But at least it may have given you a little laugh at least. Kind Regards Desy Cares
0 Kudos
Seadee
Occasional Contributor

Great ideas, Desy Cares.There is an Aussie who organises village stays in Fiji.Very reasonable and a great experience for kids. Letters are something special to be treasured.Adding photos is a great idea.Must do that.It's cup day, so will have a red for you. Leanne, had to giggle about the shoes in the freezer.I am away at the moment and my son (19) just called to see if I had any ideas where he might have left his keys. All the best, Dee
0 Kudos
leanne3561
New Contributor

Some great 'Bucket List' ideas. I can recommend a book 'Worse Things Happen at Sea' by William McInnes (Blue Heelers) & Sarah Watt (My Year Without Sex). Sarah also has cancer and this book is a lovely, funny story about their everyday life. I like the letter & book idea for your children & partner Desy did you purchase these books for from somewhere? So today for my 'Big Bucket List' I'm adding 'The Great Ocean Road' (thankyou Seadee) and for my 'Small Bucket List' I like the idea of not saying 'No' for the day (thankyou Desy) I'm confident my children or husband won't catch on as I still send them to the freezer when they ask 'where are my shoes?' and yes sadly they open the freezer door! Take Care For Now Leanne
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.