After cancer - trying to get back to ‘normal’

BoCo
New Contributor

After cancer - trying to get back to ‘normal’

Hi, first time posting.

I was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer in Dec 2017. I’ve had bowel, liver and lung surgery and 6 months of chemo. My last chemo was in October 2018.

I’m now trying to get back to normal but am really struggling. I’m more emotional now than I was last year with all the various treatments. I feel like i’m getting depressed...I’ve been on antidepressants before and don’t want to go there as it changed my personality and looking back really wasn’t myself on them.

Thinking I need to go back to work but am a bit afraid and sometimes I just don’t want to go back to work at all. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who may have or have had similar feelings and hoping for some tips.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: After cancer - trying to get back to ‘normal’

Good morning @BoCo,

How are you doing today?

It's completely understandable that you're more emotional now. We have a great book on emotions and cancer that might be worth a read.

Regarding your apprehension around returning to work, I am going to recommend you take a look at these two webinars...

Has anyone else had any experience with difficulty around returning to work?

BoCo
New Contributor

Re: After cancer - trying to get back to ‘normal’

Hi Katekat, thankyou for your reply and your tips. I haven’t been able to view the webcasts but I’ll keep trying. Really appreciate your comments. Going ok at the moment, good days and bad days 😉

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.