Centrelink

lɛftəʊvə
Occasional Contributor

Centrelink

When I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer I was unemployed for 2 years and on the tail end of 3 months of Hernia operations which stopped me from being able to pick up anything heavier than a shoe.  Prostate cancer treatment was 600kms left of where I live so had to spend sometime in accomodation there of around 5 months and I had trouble with the treatment affecting my bowel movements to the point where I could not travel anywhere without knowing where the closest toilet was located.

Centrelink was of no help.  I tried 5 times to get financial assistance to pay my bills and each time I failed.  Centrelink even informed me that I could work 15 hours a week.  Thought I was an only case but last week have found out another cancer paitient was in the same boat as Centrelink would not give him any assistance either.

Do not rely on Centrelink for any help

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Nath250
Occasional Contributor

Re: Centrelink

Hi, I have brain cancer and have been off work for 1 1/2 years, Centrelink has refused me 3 times. The first time the lady interviewing me said her son had a brain tumour as well, he had benefits paid.. but I wasn’t able to even get sickness allowance. The second time I applied the guy said it would be easier if I had never had a job and was on the dole, then they would pay... Absolute outrage of a system! Last week my Uber driver told me his entire family was on benefits and in gov funded housing because they were new to the country!!!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.