Hearing loss from radiation treatment

NoreenWin
Occasional Contributor

Hearing loss from radiation treatment

I would like to hear from anyone who has had radiation treatment and is suffering hearing loss. It has been suggested that having a grommet fitted may solve the problem. I would appreciate hearing experiences from people in similar situation. 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Hearing loss from radiation treatment

Hello @NoreenWin  and welcome!

There are definitely others here that have been through radiation treatment. Has anyone else experienced hearing loss as a side effect of having radiation?

-Kate

Online Community Manager

0 Kudos
iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

I don't know if it helps but my colleague had slight ringing in the left ear after an brain session.

0 Kudos
Raymond_Wang
Occasional Contributor

Hey @NoreenWin, I went through high dose radiotherapy 4 years ago, and it has left me with a persistent ringing in both ears, and I find it harder to hear people speaking properly as a result. The radiologist in charge suggested I get some hearing aids, but he also said that it may or may not work. Not sure about grommets though, haven't heard much about them yet..

-Raymond

0 Kudos
NoreenWin
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Raymond. I am trying a hearing aid for the time being. I want to investigate grommets more before I make my decision. I am happy with the hearing aids at the moment.

Noreen

Colin81
Contributor

Hi Noreen, I had whole body radiation prior to my transplant with no apparent side affects (in hearing only, plenty of others though) it wasn't until some months later that I went onto other medication, apparently one of these (I can't recall which one) after taking it for a short while (couple of weeks) I went almost completely deaf. Dr stopped the medication with the advice that my hearing may return! or may not. My GP was more positive and believed that it was only temporary. Months later could not get back to work (deaf) and had hearing aids fitted, worked great. Now after 2.5 years still need hearing aids to some degree, especially in a group discussion but my hearing did return but never the same. The most positive aspect was that for a while I could actually 'switch off' which was good for my recovery but not the preferable outcome long term. Do have tinnitus now but not before.

0 Kudos
NoreenWin
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Colin. I eventually decided on a hearing aid and am happy with it. 

It is good to hear about other experiences. Here you are having had a transplant and I'm complaining about a bit of deafness. 

Thank you for sharing and all the best. Noreen

0 Kudos
Colin81
Contributor

Hi Noreen,

Yes I had a bone marrow stem cell transplant, it was the culmination of several blood and other cancers, it was the only cure available, and (thankfully) it worked.

But I am not any different from all the other posts, we have had or are with someone who has had 'cancer' it's a very difficult subject to get your head around, as soon as you hear the word the first time (it actually get easier when you hear it again, and again, I hope no one ever does) but it sends you into another dimension.

Enmeshed in a 'medical' world, our vocabulary changes, our perspectives change, priority changes. It changes everything, you can never be 'normal' again. But you end up with a new normal, generally with a different perspective on life (and death). I don't regret it but accept it, it's part of life, not what I wanted but there it is warts and all.

My new normal has taken a bit of damage, some is fixable a lot is not but I am what I am. You too have sustained a bit as well and hopefully your new normal is working fine for your 'new' you.

NoreenWin
Occasional Contributor

Hi Colin, thank you for your wise words. It is 12months now since my lump was removed, I will have a scan in March and if everything is ok, I won't need to see the Doctor until November.

Your journey with cancer has given me perspective with regard to my cancer.

Your thoughts about this being my new normal have encouraged me. I will adopt it as my mantra.

Thank you once again for your wise words. All the best for the future.

Noreen

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.