Long term effects of Throat Cancer treatment

girlhorn
Occasional Contributor

Long term effects of Throat Cancer treatment

I had throat cancer abd I was told  that the radiation (40 treatments) took care of it. However,  it's been 7 months and so far I've had nothing but problems, attributed to the radiation. Now they want to remove my vocal cords because the've been damaged. I haven't a voice since August. I asked the Dr if there were any alternatyive treatments to surgery Answer: No....I have been trying something that is helping me a great deal but is very expensive. Very discouraged.

Robin

8 REPLIES 8
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Long term effects of Throat Cancer treatment

Afternoon @girlhorn,

Sorry to hear about your experience, especially now that you're facing having your vocal chords removed on top Smiley Sad

Can I suggest you take a look at this thread? It's a thread started by someone with a cancer that began in their tonsils and discusses a lot of the side effects and issues faced by people with cancers of the head and neck region. It's also incredibly active and every poster is very supportive Heart

Cheers,

Kate

Online Community Manager

AJoseph

So very sorry to hear of your plight on this Robin. After 2 years of my voice becoming more and more hoarse the 2nd biopsy confirmed I had laryngeal cancer tumors on both vocal cords - which still baffles me since I’ve never been a smoker and the HPV test turned up negative. In January I started 7 weeks of daily RAD treatments ending about 7 weeks ago - and they were pretty easy. But, what I learned and what most folks don’t know is that when the RAD sessions end the hard part is just beginning.  Forever lingering coughing up mucous, weight loss, sore throat (1 day is better the next is worse). But the worst of all is the impact to my vocal cords. It has become not  just a strain but then so painful for me to even try to talk that I’ve had to take a 90 day LOA from work.  On my last Dr visit 2 weeks ago the 2 scopes revealed no cancer but the vocals are “irritated” and swollen - and it has only gotten worse (and heaven forbid you should have a cocktail to help numb the pain). I keep getting the “Be patient “ BS too.  Trying to remain positive, but it is tough as I have had to cut off my social life and can’t even talk on the phone to friends and family. In regards to you - all I can say is PLEASE don’t let them cut your vocal cords unless it is ABSOLUTELY a last resort. Get 2nd & 3rd opinions; - there has to be an alternative to having to use an artificial voice box to communicate for the rest of your life.  Please continue to post your development as there are many, many of us out here who feel your pain. I wish you the very best Robin. 

Alan 

Mandy2
Occasional Contributor

So sorry to hear about your voice after throat cancer,it’s a big decision to have your vocal cords cut.

i have been affected with hearing loss caused by the chemo, wearing hearing aids now . Have had tonsil cancer and 7 weeks of radiation. Do you have your taste back after your treatment? . I have a constant bad taste in my mouth which is quite debilitating . 

girlhorn
Occasional Contributor

• Hi Kate. Well, they scheduled me for the total laryngectomy on March 18th. As the time got closer I got mor and more depressed. So I decided to postpone it and think about everything. 
  • I started  CBD treatment  about the middle of March. I can't say enough good thingdt this stuff. I can now swallow almost normally, and I got my voice back last week. the vocal cords that would never heal have begun to heal. Praise the Lord!!
girlhorn
Occasional Contributor

I did get my tastebuds back about 3 weeks after treatment. Thank goodness cause I lost 50 lbs in 8 weeks cuz i couldnt taste anything.

girlhorn
Occasional Contributor

Alan, I am so glad I listened to you. I decided to wait on the vocal cord surgery,  In mid March I started taking CBD orally. I am now speaking just about as well as I did before. The picture  on Tuesday shows my vocal cords are healing. Thank you Alan.

Roxy5g
Occasional Contributor

Could someone give more detail of   cbd use.  I have the oil, but don’t know what to do with it. It is supposed to be very pure and comes with a dropper.  Do I swallow it?   How much?  How often?   I am 3 months out of proton therapy and still having scar tissue and difficulty swallowing because my swall muscles were weakened.    Thanks

girlhorn
Occasional Contributor

Hello, and welcome. On your question about CBD after treatment for thorat cancer. All I can tell you is what works for me and my own personal opinions. I am not a scientist or medical professional.

I began taking CBD when the Dr's said I needed a total Laryngectomy and would live with a trach the rest of my life. I could not swallow very well and had already had some close calls with choking. 

I got the tincture, the same type you have. Mine was 1000 mg. I took it daily for about six weeks. Now, mind you, I could not talk and my vocal cords were radiation damaged and I was told they would not only NOT heal, but would continue to get worse for about 3 years. 

I am now out of treatment for almost a year. 

I can speak clearly, can swallow almost my vocals cords are  good as I used to.

It is a miracle.  It doesn't work for everyone, but I'll take what I can get. Good luck!

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.