My hair is not growing

Anugama
New Contributor

My hair is not growing

A year ago, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My chemotherapy (3 different ones) has finished by about February, at which point the hair started to grow again and I have had about an inch length by end of March. Then, I started on the radiotherapy. It seems that that was the time the hair stopped growing, and now in November I still only have that 1 inch worth of hair, no more. I should have almost a shoulder length by now. Any advice?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: My hair is not growing

Hi @Anugama and welcome!

Hair loss is usually temporary, so it does sound a bit strange that your hair hasn't grown between March to November.

Are you still undergoing radiotherapy? And if it's not too intrusive, what medications are you on? 

Has anyone else here experienced what Anugama is going through and perhaps offer some insight?

Our hair loss fact sheet has a section around what to expect 'After Treatment', that might help too.

0 Kudos
Anugama
New Contributor

Re: My hair is not growing

Hi Kate, and thank you for replying! I have finished radiotherapy in June, and it was restricted to my breast so it should not have affected the hair on my head. I am on no medications at all, since chemo that finished in March. The short pixie hair is all I have but it does not fall out, so at least I have that. However, I would have loved to have some more in terms of length.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.