Periods after treatment

Wangetti
New Contributor

Periods after treatment

Hi ladies, I completed chemo treatment 4 months ago however my periods stopped on my 3 last treatment. I've been put on tamoxifen. I'm still waiting for my periods to return. I feel slight symptoms of a week before to a period. Anyone else experienced the same thing? Any advice? 

I've relocated to Bris so I'm waiting to be transferred to see the Oncologists here. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Periods after treatment

Hi @Wangetti,

Congratulations on completing chemo, I do hope you are well in yourself!

It can take a few months or as long as a year or more after chemotherapy for your periods to return.

Has anyone else had experience with slow returning periods?

Wangetti
New Contributor

Thank you Kate! Very helpful. I'd be definitely interested in hearing from other women who have completed chemo 😄

0 Kudos
Margaret_CCNSW
Contributor

Hi @Wangetti,

Following on from Kate's post, I wanted to add a couple of pointers for information you might find helpful.

A great source of information is Breast Cancer Network Australia www.bcna.org.au, which provides some information on how treatment can affect women prior to menopause, in the section on breast cancer in young women.

The Cancer Council website has a lot of helpful information on breast cancer https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/breast-cancer/,

and on chemotherapy for breast cancer https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/breast-cancer/cancer-treatment/chemotherapy/ which also discusses the effect of chemotherapy on periods.

As everyone's experience of cancer and treatment can be different, it's also really important to speak with your own medical team about any questions or concerns you may have.

Best wishes,

Margaret

Online Community admin team 

Wangetti
New Contributor

Great thank you Margaret! I've had a look at those links and it's answered many questions I had.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.