Recovery After Operations and Radiation

Russ_Gluyas
New Contributor

Recovery After Operations and Radiation

Hi, I am hoping to chat with other people that have had a similiar cancer to myself. I was diagnosed with cancer in one tonsil and lymph nodes in early July 2019. I went on to have one operation to take away my tonsil and part of the inside of my mouth and also to take away 35 lymph node in my neck. I then had six weeks of daily radiation. Today I am 12 weeks post radiation and I'm keen to discuss recovery. Cheers Russ

3 REPLIES 3
Azjoetrucker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Recovery After Operations and Radiation

Hi Russ...

I had head and neck cancer and am now 8 months past the last Chemo and radio.

Although I did not suffer as much abuse as your own procedures, I would think there are probably similarities in the aftermath.

Feel free to drop me a line and I'll be happy to share any of my experience that may help you ease your way in the aftermath.

Joe

Russ_Gluyas
New Contributor

Hi Joe, thanks for your message. Yes I’m sure there are some similarities with our procedures. Operations, chemo and radiation all come with their own impacts. I’m curious about recovery even though it’s only been three months since radiation finished. My jaw and neck are still tight, numb and tender from both the neck operation and radiation. What’s been your experience?  Happy to chat one on one as well. 👍

Azjoetrucker
Frequent Contributor

Hi Russ...

Hope all is well.  I am curious how you are getting along post treatment.

I am still working my way through lymphoedema of face and neck, searching for a way to at least minimize the discomfort and damage.

Still unsure as to the degree of success, but seem to have made some progress stalling the swelling from rearranging my face.

Cheers, Joe

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.