"I'm no Picasso" - "An awesome experience to come together"

Jill_CCNSW
Cancer Council NSW

"I'm no Picasso" - "An awesome experience to come together"

The Creating Survivorship workshop held on Saturday 31st August was a great opportunity for young adults to get together and discover different ways to express “what’s going on” for them.

Astley said that he experienced; “a really beautiful way to connect to other people and also connecting to myself”. Take a look at the quick clip and what else he had to say!! 

OR...

........and some more comments from the day:

• “Art can be something you do to express any emotion, not just happiness!”
  • “There are different techniques to help channel issues”
  • “Every single person has their own creative”
  • “Art can be anything you want it to be”
  • “The joy of a shared activity with others who are on similar journeys”

Issues, challenges, concerns and personal strengths were explored, including ways to consider a forward focus in life.

We'd love to hear if you have any thoughts about how art could help you express yourself?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: "I'm no Picasso" - "An awesome experience to come together"

Hi jillm I didn't personally get involved in the art program that was on offer when I was undergoing treatment, however, a friend of mine did and she enjoyed it immensely. She said that it totally gave her "head space" and allowed her to not think about cancer for a period of time. She found it incredibly beneficial and it also fed her creative side as well. Julie
0 Kudos
Jill_CCNSW
Cancer Council NSW

Hi Julie, Great to hear that your friend found using 'art' beneficial, it is a good way to divert your thinking away from what is going on in your life!! Actually, one of the ladies on the day also talked about how she felt totally 'in the moment' and wasn't thinking about anything else during the workshop. What a great thing to be able to do!! Jill.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Jill It was a great thing for my friend to be able to do and especially as we were all country patients staying at one of the cancer council accommodation places here in west aus. It is tough to have treatment away from your own home, family and friends. So to be able to just focus on something else for a moment in time is wonderful! Julie
0 Kudos
Jill_CCNSW
Cancer Council NSW

Hi Julie, That must of been a hard time, being away from your family, especially at a time when you need them most!! What was it like for you when you got to go back home? Jill.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Jill Hmmmm, well I wish I could say it was awesome to get home again but it wasn't really. I was wrecked after treatment and at first I stayed with a g/f so that I could be nearer to doctors in case I needed them. It was good to get home but my grass had grown to thigh high levels in the 5 months I had been away from home and the house was dusty etc.... so it took some time for me to get things back under control again and then I could relax and feel more at home. In some ways it felt strange to be home after all that time. 🙂 Julie
0 Kudos
Jill_CCNSW
Cancer Council NSW

Hi Julie, I must admit that I was not thinking about the fact that you may have lived alone (sorry about that!!). Yes, it must have been strange to go back after being away for so long, plus all you would have gone through during that time!! I hope that you are feeling settled now (obviously I don't actually know how long you have been back home!!). I wonder how other people have coped with this scenario?? Jill.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Jill DOn't be sorry, you weren't to know. I actually have a son but he didn't have a license at that stage so he went to stay with my mother as it was closer to work for him. In writing all that I did I felt guilty in some ways for not being able to say it was all roses when I got home, but reality it wasn't. Everything is absolutely fine and yesterday I was mowing the lawn and it really is a yardstick for how far I had come. When I first got home from treatment I did the back lawn over a series of days ... yesterday I mowed the back and side and some of the front aswell. We have rather a large yard due to being in a rural area - hence breaking down the lawnmowing a bit. I did not have any direct neighbours at that stage and seriously it was the last thought on my mind about trying to get someone to mow my lawns. How times have changed. Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.