Is anyone else struggling with the MIL or extended family?

P46
New Contributor

Is anyone else struggling with the MIL or extended family?

My partner is currently being treated for a second primary cancer (we already beat a different cancer years ago). I’m really struggling. Not because of all the million extra things to do but because I can’t get any quality time with my parter. Her mother won’t even give me a Few hours alone with her when I’ve specifically taken time off work to be there. My partner is so tired from the treatment we get maybe 30 mins each evening but she spends the entire time answering to well wishers who are constantly texting, messaging and what’s app-ing - all day every day! I can’t get anytime alone with her. This has been going on for weeks. I’m so lonely, I can never be myself (because the dysfunctional family and MIL is omnipresent) and I’m falling apart. Has anyone had similar issues? How did u cope? 

3 REPLIES 3
Frostling
Contributor

Re: Is anyone else struggling with the MIL or extended family?

Have you guys ever done a date night before? Perhaps order take away and watch a DVD or Netflix? (Though perhaps keep it short if they’re very tired all the time). 

If not - it might be worth having a talk with either partner or MIL and explain how important it would be for you to spend time together. 

P46
New Contributor

Thanks Tv is out as she’s loosing her hearing from chemo. But, doing something nice is a good idea.
Frostling
Contributor

good luck! I’m cheering for your success! 🙂

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.