Overwhelmed - pancreatic cancer stage 4

Angel1
Occasional Contributor

Re: Overwhelmed - pancreatic cancer stage 4

Hi my partner was also not long ago with pancreatic cancer. I am very scared for him. He is starting his first round of chemo on monday 27th April. Not sure what to expect. He is 63. I am very sad to hear what you are both going through at this stage. My concern at the moment is what food he can eat without the pain he is having at this moment. I hope you get the help and support you need. Will be thinking about you both. 

0 Kudos
Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

Patches, 

I couldn’t agree with you more.  Having to watch your sick loved one, isn’t fair.  My heart breaks for you.  I was getting worried bc I haven’t seen you on here, or no new posts.  We are always here for you Patches.  Please know we all know,  but we don’t know what you are going thru, because everyone’s experience is different.  But we all have compassion and a heart on this site, so please know we are here for you always.  I miss talking to you, my husband also has stage 4 appendix cancer, and I can only pray to be so strong as you.  ❤️😘

0 Kudos
Patches
Frequent Contributor

Hi Lindsay, by time line you are referring to how long he might live for ..... when he was diagnosed in October last year we were given estimated timeline for life expectancy of 4 mths to 18 mths.
0 Kudos
Patches
Frequent Contributor

Today I have spoken to palliative care nurses about his increasing decrease and that there are things where he is getting worse each day. They are hoping to get us into programme called palliative care at home which will mean I will have nurse come here 3 times a day and they are available 24 hrs each day to help, come to the house etc. programme only has very limited places, waiting to find out if there is availability for us to go onto programme.

My husband is in hospital bed in our room and has been for about 5 weeks but it is too short for him. Tomorrow we get new hospital bed for my husband, and companion bed to me, delivered to home which is longer and will allow us to sleep beside each other at night. Based on his very limited mobility my husband will be bedridden as of tomorrow afternoon when new bed gets here.

Yesterday I had to go out and was out of the house for less than 3hrs but when I got back I found his ability to speak clearly has gone. He struggles to think of what words to say at times, other times I can no longer understand wha5 he says. I knew there would come a time He would cease to speak but this would be if he is in a coma. For me most physically scary thing is majority of the time his eyes are rolling backwards into their sockets and I can see almost just the white of his eyes.

He told me this afternoon that he hopes to make it to the weekend to make it easier for his son to come and say his goodbyes but doesn’t know if he is strong enough to last that long. This son, my step son, lives 3 hrs drive away and is devastated emotionally not only due to loosing his dad but that due to coronavirus he can’t even spend time with him as we head toward the final days.

Within myself I feel, and dread, that my husband will only ge5 to enjoy very small number of nights in the new comfortable bed before his battle ends.
0 Kudos
Angel1
Occasional Contributor

Oh no that is terribly sad. My heart feels for you so much. 

Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

Patches,  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this very emotional and difficult time.  Please know we are all thinking of you both and your families.  There are no words for what you are all going thru.  I pray for comfort and love for you all.  ❤️

0 Kudos
Patches
Frequent Contributor

He is in last days. He didn’t get to sleep in the new bed we were expecting, he had been heavily sedated prior to it due to arrival, his legs have completely failed, his kidneys appear to be failing and he will spend the rest of his days at home with family sleeping in electric lift recliner.
0 Kudos
Patches
Frequent Contributor

My husband passed away on 24 April just after 3:30pm with his family near him just as he wanted. His battles are finished and he is finally at peace. Paul has found peace and so have we his family
0 Kudos
Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

Patches,

My thoughts and Prayers are with you and your family.  May you find peace and comfort in good friend and family.  Please don’t forget we are here for you.  As you mourn know we are and will always be here to listen.  We are still going thru our battles and you can still help us as we can you.  Paul will always be with you in your ❤️.  Sending you a Great Big hug...xo R.I.P Paul 2-24-2020.  😇

kj
Super Contributor

Patches 

Condolences to you and your family on the loss of your beloved Paul.RIP

kj

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.