Mum just diagnosed

CB

Mum just diagnosed

Hi there everyone, 

I just wanted to come on here to talk. My mum was diagnosed with cervical cancer this week. We aren't yet sure how long it has been there or how bad it is but we find out more in a week. I am not coping well right now as my mum is my rock and my best friend. I'm an only child and still live at home so I spend everyday with her. I am so scared that it's going to be bad and that I won't have her around anymore. Tonight she spoke to me for the first time about how she is feeling about it. She told me how worried she is and that she doesn't want to die because there's so much she wants to do and she isn't ready. My mum is the strongest and toughest person I have ever met and hearing this come from her breaks my heart. I've been trying to be brave and not show her how upset I am but then every time I'm alone it's all I can think about. I don't want her to think I don't care because I'm not showing how upset I really am but I don't want her to become more upset either. 

I know that we don't know the extent of it yet and it may be able to be treated, I am just so worried. I've lost family memebrs to cancer before and others have had it and been treated but it feels so much worse this time. I don't know how to act and what I can do to help her through this.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Margaret_CCNSW
Contributor

Re: Mum just diagnosed

Hi CB,

It sounds like it's been very difficult for you and your Mum. Do you have any further news this week?

Please do get in contact with Cancer Council Information and Support line on 13 11 20 to find out about any of our programs that may be helpful for you and your mother or others in your family.

Take care,

Margaret,

Online Community admin team

0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi CB, it's great that your Mum is talking about how she's feeling.  Don't worry to much about getting upset in front of her- it shows that you care, and doesn't mean you're weak (I used to joke that I was my husband's soggy rock : )

As long as you can still listen to her, let the tears flow if you need to.  Please keep us all updated about how you and your Mum are going.

love and hugs, Emily

0 Kudos
PUnderwood
Occasional Contributor

I'm sorry to hear about your moms diagnosis and I wish you both well. I will say that holding it all in might seem like the noble thing to do, but the best thing you can do is be open and honest with your mum, let her know it hurts but you will be strong for her. If anything, this will help bolster her courage and do away with the fear that uncertainty brings. It's okay to feel sad, its normal and talking about it will help you both get through this together. Wishing you nothing but the best!

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.