Waiting for details on stage 4 colorectal cancer

27spoons
Occasional Contributor

Waiting for details on stage 4 colorectal cancer

Hello all,

I'm just joining the few I've read recently supporting family members with newly diagnosed colorectal cancer. My husband was diagnosed last week and it's been a crazy week. I'm finding the waiting really hard. We were meant to get the results from latest tests and a treatment plan tomorrow. But they called to say the biopsy was inconclusive and now we need to wait a week for them to do a liver biopsy (and then wait for those results).

I just want to get an idea of what we're dealing with. Well obviously it's not great. But I'd like an indication of how treatable it might be and what the plan is beyond the next week :-).

How did you all get through this initial diagnosis waiting stage?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Waiting for details on stage 4 colorectal cancer

Hi,

Everybody hates the wait. Each year I have scans to monitor for polyps and cancer.

I hate it. Every single year.

Try and find something you enjoy that will take your mind off it/busy, and provide a bit of a distraction.

That's the best advise I can give.

-s

PS. have you received your test results yet?

27spoons
Occasional Contributor

Hi sch, 

Thanks and yes the waiting is really hard. And we're still going with it. Hopefully getting results and more of a plan on Monday. 

We know already that he has stage 4 colorectal cancer, just waiting for exact details and what any treatment might look like. He's pretty sick and so far no one is doing anything until the oncologist sees him again, so I'm hopeful that they will at least be able to do something to help with his comfort.

27spoons
Occasional Contributor

And now we have all the results and a plan.  The cancer is incurable,  but will hopefully respond to treatment and give him a couple of years.

Hard news. But so much better to have than the waiting. 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.