Metastatic Melanoma

luckiestgirl
Occasional Contributor

Metastatic Melanoma

My husband was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma last week with lesions on lung and liver.  They did a liver biopsy. This week his scans show the cancer is widespread through his stomach lining, lungs and liver with liver duct blocked and some fluid in one lung. He was offered palliative care at home. The home care team are on a well desrved holiday break as there is only one team for the entire Tamworth and district area and they will not be back til Tuesday. It makes me angry that the powers that be think this is an acceptable situation for people like ourselves who have the misfortune to be diagnosed at this time. As wondercul as the nurses doctors and palliative care team at the hospital have been it is very scary to be dealing with the unknown with such a fast spreading cancer when one week has made so much difference already and my husband really wants to stay at home. What is the experience of other patients and their families?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Metastatic Melanoma

How did you go meeting with the doctors today @luckiestgirl?

I do hope you and your husband are as well as you can be under the circumstances.

Please do not hesitate to give our team a call on 13 11 20 if you need any help on anything or perhaps help finding other services in your area that may help. 

I also wanted to let you know about our telephone support group for Carers, I think this would be of benefit to yourself. If you are interested to find out a little more, please give us a call on 1300 755 632.

Kind Regards,

Kate

0 Kudos
luckiestgirl
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Kate. Still waiting for BRAF test so continued palliative care. Everything is slow at Christmas new year but doctors are pushing for a quick result so some type of treatment can start. He eill stay in hospital until then. Thank you for the phone numbers and your concern.

0 Kudos
luckiestgirl
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Kate. Still waiting for BRAF test so continued palliative care. Everything is slow at Christmas new year but doctors are pushing for a quick result so some type of treatment can start. He will stay in hospital until then. Thank you for the phone numbers and your concern.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.