Survivor

kj
Super Contributor

Survivor

Today is ,the 7 year date of my Whipple surgery for Pancreatic Cancer.I am a very fortunate person.I feel for others not so lucky as me.

8 REPLIES 8
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Survivor

anniversary.jpg

Happy anniversary @kj!!!! Smiley Very Happy

We are so very pleased for you Heart

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Thanks very much Kate.
ToughChick
Occasional Contributor

Oh how special kj!
I am newly diagnosed with appendix cancer and am awaiting treatment. The wait for surgery is very hard. My surgery is like a whipple, its called a peritonectomy and basically they remove everything that they can in my abdo cavity - sounds horrific.

I'm a mum of 2 beautiful kids and am terrified to my core. Do you have any insights as to why you have made it to this 7 year anniversary when others haven't?? What makes you different and lucky? Has your Oncologist been able to articulate this?

I'm looking for hope and hoping to replicate your good luck.

Thanks so much 🙂
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Tough Chick
I have spoken to my oncologist about my survival,she has no answers except that people do live when it is not expected.
It is very hard not to be overwhelmed by all that is happening,

After surgery and during chemo I had lots of support,and love from family and friends,I just took it one day at a time during recovery from surgery and chemo,it is very much a mind issue as much as a bodily cancer issue.Trying to stay positive is difficult,doubts creep in but you must try and ignore them,I meditated to try and keep some calmness around my thoughts and focus on small gains regularly.

You are a Mother of 2 children,that is so unfair,but when people are faced with harsh realities,you may be surprised of the strength and courage inside of you that you can draw on in this life crisis.Mothers are very strong when something comes between them and there children.

I wish I knew the secret of my survival so others could benefit But I don’t ,I focused on recovery from surgery first then the next issue that arose.

I have read previously of your surgery it is very complex,not as straightforward as a Whipple but hopefully your recovery will go well ,patience will be a virtue.
I am sorry I can’t elaborate further on my survival I am a very
Lucky person.
I wish you good luck and best wishes with your subsequent surgery and recovery.
kj

ToughChick
Occasional Contributor

Thank you kj for your reply.

You are so very true when you say "you may be surprised of the strength and courage inside of you that you can draw on in this life crisis. Mothers are very strong when something comes between them and there children."

This is absolutely right and its so good to be reminded of this - so thank you for your comment.

Its easy to feel weak in the face of cancer but I am trying to gather all my mental, physical and spiritual resources to fight this. I dont want to feel powerless. I want to feel powerful. And I'm sure this is something you must have felt.

I wish for us both longevity and old age.

kj
Super Contributor

Toughchick
Thanks for your wishes on longevity ,After reading your post I can see that your mindset is in the right place to be prepared and face what ever is thrown at you in the future.

I really hope and pray that all goes well for you ,Toughchick the name suits you after reading your post.

Ron50
Contributor

Sometimes survival just happens, I did everything my surgeon and oncologist suggested and have lived a life of moderation. Both doctors believed I would not get beyond three years. Next Jan 22 is my anniversary. I will reach 20 years still cancer free ex stage 3 c colon cancer . I wish you all well for Christmas and a cancer free future, Ron.
kj
Super Contributor

Ron that is a good way to explain survival I will remember your words it just happens ,Best wishes and wellness to all for Christmas and As Ron put it  a cancer free future.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.