stage 3 colorectal cancer

meags81
Not applicable

stage 3 colorectal cancer

Hi my name is Meagan and I have been diagnosed with stage 3 colorectal cancer recently. I start chemotherapy on Wednesday but am not sure what to expect really. How have other people reacted/experienced? I don't know anyone who has had chemotherapy so I can't ask anyone any questions. The thought of the unknown is what I amfraid of.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
kj
Super Contributor

Re: stage 3 colorectal cancer

meags81 I haven't got youre cancer but I have had chemotherapy It effects everyone differently chemo affected me badly yet a friend breezed through chemo ,so wait until you start to see how you go try not to work yourself up too much about it I know easy to say but you are entering a new stage of treatment good luck dont be afraid to ask questions some one can usually give tips to help you if professionals cant help kj
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Hi Meagan, I has surgery and chemo for Stage 3 colon cancer 4 years ago. I agree with kj that chemo affects everyone differently but I would be interested to know the drugs you will be on and what your regime will. I had a picc line inserted and had oxalipalitan and 5FU infusions. I had an infusion every fortnight and then went home with my "jet pack" for 2 days of slow release 5FU.I then went back after 2 days to have that removed and another short infusion. This went on for 12 rounds of treatment - basically 6 months that was extended due to about 7 due to some weeks not being able to have treatment and Christmas etc. The unknown is really scary so ask as many questions as you can. I found that the nurses at the clinic were sensational and I am lucky to have a really good and kind oncologist who answered all of my questions with a great amount of humanity. He still does. One piece of advice - take someone with you for the first round. It is long and boring but they may think of questions that you don't and it someone else to listen and take in the enormous amount of information. This is assuming that you are having infusions. If you having the oral chemo, then you may find it to be toatally different. Good luck and never fell afraid to pop in here! If you wish to, you may drop me a personal message. S
0 Kudos
Stace
Contributor

Hi Meagan I had the chemotherapy for the same colorectal cancer you have got. I was in a ward with alot of other chemo patients and everyone handles things differently. As someone else has said on here ask the nurses lots of questions they are fantastic. The other piece of advice i can offer you is to rest when you can and also rinse your mouth with salty water to avoid ulcers. The type of chemo i had the oxiplatin and folfox im not sure which one but it made me sensitive to cold, so just becareful of touching anything cold or eating and drinking cold foods / drinks which is awful in summer! They will explain everything to you, its a massive information overload! I suffered with tingling in my hands and feet too but since stopping the chemo thankfully that has gone. I am pleased to say i didnt vomit much from the chemo mainly from other things like bugs my daughter brings home from kindy! Just felt extremely tired, emotional etc. If i can be of any help to you please contact me via this website i am only to happy to help Do you have a stoma to deal with aswell? All the best with your treatment, remember there is light at the end of the tunnel and it will be here before you know it Stacey
0 Kudos
Not applicable

I think this is really great information shared with us, it will really helps and guides many peoples. stage 3 ovarian cancer
0 Kudos
Stacey
Occasional Contributor

Hi Meagan I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Stage 3 colon cancer and underwent 12 fortnightly cycles of Folfox 6 (oxaliplatin and 5FU). I suffered some nausea initially but medication got that under control pretty quickly. I had pins and needles in my hands and feet which became more noticable with each cycle and I suffered some sensitivity to cold. I had to wear gloves when taking food out of the fridge and freezer. Towards the end of treatment, I developed some nasty mouth ulcers but they healed up quickly once treatment stopped. My main symptom was fatigue. On day 4 and 5 of each chemo cycle, I was extremely tired so I spent those days resting and sleeping. The rest of the time, I was up and about, looking after the kids, working part-time and trying to live a normal life despite my treatment. My hair thinned slightly but was not noticable. I found the chemo nurses wonderful. They gave me lots of support and always answered all of my questions. During my chemo week, I slept and rested whenever I could. Although always tired, I always felt better in the second week of the cycle. Just take one week at a time and look after yourself as much as you can. I hope everything goes well for you. Stacey
0 Kudos
etacarinae
Occasional Contributor

Hi Meagan I had stage 3 Rectal cancer too. Understand how stressed you must feel about the Chemo. I was so stressed when I started I had to have chill pills! The chemo nurses were awesome so I can recommend you telling them if you feel worried - they have seen a lot and I felt they understood it was very comforting to me. Good luck with your treatment. Cheers Eta
0 Kudos
wombat4
Contributor

Hi Meagan, I hope that you are progressing well with your treatment. I think an important thing is to work with it and see the chemo as a good thing fighting the tumours and shrinking them. When my wife was diagnosed with the same some 2 years ago, she went on to folfox and with understanding the potential side affects such as fatigue, then plan some quiet days after the chemo, the neuropathy then keep away from the fridge / freezer. car a/c at all times, in cold weather have gloves always handy, with dry skin apply a moisturiser gently to dry areas, make sure your toothbrush is the soft type, try to minimise the effects of the chemo and you will feel better and be stronger.My wife had 48 cycles without a break of various types of folfox, folfiri, avastin, 5fu with very little in the way of side effects. Hang in there
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.