Motivation for losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle

Allicat
Contributor

Re: Motivation for losing weight and maintaining a healthy ...

Hi Silly How is your weight going? I have not managed to lose any weight over the last few months but at least I have not put any more on. Yesterday I told my counsellor that this extra weight made me feel sad. She reassured me that I didn't look as if I had gained weight. Meaning that she didn't think I should feel sad. I find it part of the problem that I'm not meant to feel sad about this. Anyway, I'm not sad most of the time I'm just having a slight meltdown at the moment. It will pass.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I did lose a little weight but it's back on. My motivation fluctuates .I've become an emotional eater. I become disappointed with myself and can't get into exercising except 2 line dance classes a week. I am usually happy but am going through a down time too. Let's hope we can both be happier next time we say something on this site .Thanks for your sharing.
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

SILLY I have the opposite problem I would like to gain weight so I eat and drink protein shakes when I can. alas no weight gain but more importantly not much loss of weight.I have a distorted view of myself I look in the mirror and say gee you are putting on weight thats good. I then get a reality check from the scales, funny how I still think I look the same as before cancer when I really don't look or act the same. I do what I have to stay alive like the rest of us afflicted with this terrible disease.I am inspired by how other friends and others fight on through this adversity Good Luck to you all in this fight. SILLY it's normal to have down times as long as they dont last don't be to hard on yourself kj
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

My wanting to lose weight is not exactly cancer related but if I ate more healthily and exercised more I would lose a couple of kilos . Then I'd feel better about myself. I seem to have lost self discipline and motivation to be as healthy as can be. Sometimes I think it doesn't matter now. I could work hard at it and it wouldn't add more years to my life . At other times I think that the years I have left would be happier ones. Anyway, I'm half trying . I can't imagine what it's like to have to keep weight on or put more on but I know many with cancer have this battle ,kj. I wish that those of us with some kilos to lose could just donate some to those like you who'd like or need some. Good idea? LOL.
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

SILLY Great Idea I will have 10 kilos to go please LOL kj
0 Kudos
sunflower
Occasional Contributor

Hi i also have to lose 10 kg, which i put on about 5 years ago when i was diagnosed with depression. since then breast cancer, chemo and radiotherapy - (finished treatment 6 months ago ) and the doctor put the hard word on me to lose weight. I have sought help from a hypnotherapist/counsellor, who will place a virtual balloon in my stomach but also gives me lots of support to lose weight. Like my very own supporter in my corner! I do go to the gym but have a problem with serving sizes and comfort eating. I have already lost 2 kg in the last two weeks- but the truth will tell when i go past the 6 kg mark. REally looking forward to fitting into clothes off the rack! keeping on the weight can be an emotional tie. i have done lots of counselling in the last 12 months to try and deal with any angst i have been holding-and now i finally feel positive. this idea may not suit everyone, but i do feel like i need some one to hold my hand personally and help me through this. it is like kicking an addiction. And don't be too hard on yourselves - when you are ready, you will take control and lose the weight. until then it is important to exercise and try and eat healthily
0 Kudos
Jules_68
Contributor

Hi Sunflower, you have really hit a cord with me and I so understand you...I too have been seeing a hypnotherapist/counsellor Alley Mountjoy (Samford) and yes my downfall is with serving size and comfort eating. Thank you for posting, you have inspired me. Julesx
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I hope you are enjoying the new house and new area . I hope we do catch up with each other when you are down my way . I am happy to give you my phone number if you want ,in a private message . I am only a few kg over my ideal weight but I am an emotional eater too . I am also lazy about cooking proper meals at times and tend to eat whatever's easy . I need a chef ! My husband likes cooking but if I eat too much of his cooking I put on weight . He's not into a variety of veges and likes a bit more fried food . My only exercise is 2 ,sometimes 3 line dance classes a week ,not enough . Some days are better than others . Still,I'm not giving up .
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

jules68 I have always been trim as pre cancer I was active I noticed that when I was in hospital my wife and daughter visited daily and had there meals at the hospital they started eating emotionally as what was happening to me was uncertain when i got home it was hard to get back to eating normally for them both I had my eyes opened as I always thought you just pushed the plate away and exercised but I found that emotional and overeating is very complicated the brain is incredible capable of causing huge eating problems and if you are suffering depression say no more my daughter has joined a gym and walks she is eating healthier and has more energy I am called the food nazi as I remind everyone of the need to eat healthy including my wife I get a bit of flack and we banter about it the kilos is slowly coming off my daughter which I remind her thats the right way,my poor wife has had 2 knee replacements one of which was done three times so exercising is hard for her but we all try and support each other so I have an Idea whatJules68 and Silly are going through so ladies keep plugging away and do not be to hard on yourselves if at first you don't succeed try and try again they have reduced the size of the plates which has helped so good luck in your quest to lose kilos kj
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

jules68 I have always been trim as pre cancer I was active I noticed that when I was in hospital my wife and daughter visited daily and had there meals at the hospital they started eating emotionally as what was happening to me was uncertain when i got home it was hard to get back to eating normally for them both I had my eyes opened as I always thought you just pushed the plate away and exercised but I found that emotional and overeating is very complicated the brain is incredible capable of causing huge eating problems and if you are suffering depression say no more my daughter has joined a gym and walks she is eating healthier and has more energy I am called the food nazi as I remind everyone of the need to eat healthy including my wife I get a bit of flack and we banter about it the kilos is slowly coming off my daughter which I remind her thats the right way,my poor wife has had 2 knee replacements one of which was done three times so exercising is hard for her but we all try and support each other so I have an Idea whatJules68 and Silly are going through so ladies keep plugging away and do not be to hard on yourselves if at first you don't succeed try and try again they have reduced the size of the plates which has helped so good luck in your quest to lose kilos kj
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.