dietary counselling

Philip
Occasional Contributor

dietary counselling

I'm at the Clinical Oncological Society of Australia (COSA) conference, and just attended a session on nutrition, and the importance of clinical support and counselling to minimise risk of malnutrition during treatment. Has anyone received dietary counselling?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
mikey
Contributor

dietary counselling

Hi Phillip, I can't say I've ever received any nutrition counselling but  I'd be interested to hear what you've learnt at COSA. I'm sure others would too.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

dietary counselling

Hello, I saw a dietician 3 or 4 times throughout my treatments. At my first appointment I was given a food diary to record everything I consumed over the next week and at my second appointment the dietician gave me some ideas and recipes based on that. I know with chemo they just encourage you to eat whatever you feel like really, there are times when I did not feel hungry at all ( a lot of times) and then others where I was starving and seemed to crave protein foods like meat and starchy food like potatoes.  If you have abdominal side effects from radiotherapy there are some foods that can aggravate the symptoms, for me these were oranges tomatoes anything acidic really. I think most cancer centres have a dietician that patients can speak with. Their advice I would say would be based on the treatment plan for that patient. For me when my chemo / radiation was finished that is when I concentrated on getting back on track with my healthy eating, lots of fruit and vegies and everything fresh to try and rid my body of all the toxins from treatments and stay well. butterfly
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.