Hello everyone, diagnosed with cancer in May 22

djs
Contributor

Hello everyone, diagnosed with cancer in May 22

I was diagnosed with cancer in May 2022, I've had CT scan, MRI scan, Ultra sound / aspiration done and PET scan on my whole body, I have cancer in the back of my throat that is inoperable, in the right hand side of my tonsil. I am 60 in September, I guess the hardest part is not know what sort or stage, I will be having a biopsy done on my tonsil to see if the cancer is malignancy [ including SCC ] type of cancer. Yes cancer is a scary thing to find out you have, but I'm finding the not knowing harder. I am single and live on my own, I do have family and friends around to help me but that doesn't stop your mind from thinking the worst.

I would prefer to know if it's  curable or not.

David.

7 REPLIES 7
Virtualdeb
New Contributor

Re: Hello everyone, diagnosed with cancer in May 22

Hi David. I agree that the not know and waiting is horrible. Every horror story goes through your head and all worst case scenario’s appear possible. I was diagnosed last month and have started treatment this week. The tests and the waiting to start on a path were tough. Hang in there, I’m sure they will have a strategy for you soon.
0 Kudos
djs
Contributor

Hi virtualdeb, thank you. I know I have a bit to go before I start my treatment, I need a panoamoscopy to take biopsy from my tonsil and from anywhere else, then have the cancer removed from where they can.
Again thanks.
0 Kudos
djs
Contributor

Well it's now 28th and still waiting,  I've been told they will be removing my tonsils as the the cancer is buried deep inside and they can't get a sample. Still don't know when. Was told Tuesday I would hear from someone that afternoon to answer a few questions and the be operated on by the end of this week or earlier next week.  🤔 

I  know it will happen soon.

0 Kudos
OzStu
Contributor

Don't sweat David.  If they have scanned everything and found no cancer anywhere else,  then you are in very early stage.   The first I knew of my cancer was when a massive lump appeared in my neck.  It had already spread to the lymph nodes .  Worst part was they searched and searched but never found the original source.  So I had massive amounts of radiation all round, from the bottom of my ears down to my collar bones.......both sides.....back and front......everything....as well as 7 rounds of cisplatin.   The did work out what sort of cancer it was from biopsy of the lump in my neck.   It was basaliod SCC, it's only saving grace was that it was p16 positive.    The treatment was tough to get through but I'm over two years past treatment now and looking good. 

At least they know where  yours started, which is a very common site.   They probably will follow up the surgery with some radiation and chemo just to make sure they clean up any stray cells that may be lurking in your lymph nodes nearby that haven't grown to at detectable level yet.   If your cancer is SCC and p16 positive, at your stage of development you'll be in the 90% plus range, in your favor, or complete cure that is.   If it's not p16 positive your chances are still good at this early stage, but probably in the range of 50 to 70%.

You will almost certainly be cleared after treatment.  Then the only question is if you will have a recurrence down the line.   The vast majority of recurrences happen in the first two years after treatment, and most of the rest by the five year mark.  After five years they count you as completely cured. 

I'd bet large sums of money on you coming out of this fine.  Your position at this time is better then most when the cancer is first discovered.   Way better then my prognosis was, and I'm fine over two years post treatment.    You be fine David  🙂

0 Kudos
djs
Contributor

Thanks Ozstu, I pray my right tonsil is the primary cancer.  I believe I will be ok but it us a shock when first told.

Thanks for your insight. 

0 Kudos
djs
Contributor

Hello, well had a biopsy and all came back negative? So have cancer in my lymph node's but no primary. It is a SCC cancer. I  have a lump at the base of my tongue they think it is cancer that is dead. They will be removing it next week. They are going to remove my right tonsil at the same time as they believe there is cancer buried deep in it. If both these came back negative then they will not be able to find the primary. 

0 Kudos
Jim644
Occasional Contributor

Hello Dave,

I was diagnosed with stage 4 Laryngeal throat cancer in October this year. I start Chemotherapy and radiation therapy together next week, 12/5

Although they tell me it's stage 4a I always think the worst and hope for the best as you should. 

My Dr's all tell me it's treatable and curable!

Never heard of stage 4 Laryngeal cancer being curable but hay, I'll take it true or not. 

Contact me anytime for chatting because I'm beginning my treatments beginning next week 

Jim

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.