my story

duncan
New Contributor

my story

I'm new to the forum, so by way of introduction here's a brief version of my story.

Just over twelve months ago, I received some out of the ordinary blood test results, and during a colonoscopy to find out the cause of the results a large tumour was found in my bowel. The tumour was removed on the 15th April 2016.  During the operation, a stoma was implanted. The stoma is permanent, and I have slowly got used to urostomy bags. It wasn't what I expected during surgery but was a result of the tumour's size and location.

Following the surgery, I started Chemo in June. I had twelve cycles and finished up on November 11. In what I thought was going to be a routine post-chemo scan new spots were discovered in my lungs and in the tissue around the base of my spine (the original tumour had not reappeared). Following this result, I restarted chemo in December last year.

I'm now seven cycles into a this treatment.  The treatment is designed to control and contain the disease, and so far this is what seems to be happening with the size of the tumours in my lungs reducing.

Needless to say, it has been a tough road so far. I have been well supported by my friends and family and feel incredibly blessed to have that support.

I look forward to getting to know members of the forum, and learning from your experiences.

4 REPLIES 4
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: my story

Hello and welcome @duncan!

You have been through an awful lot in that space of time, I am glad that your treatment appears to be working and that you are surrounded by a good support network, as that is incredibly important.

If you need any help with any of the technical side to how things work or just want to chat, just sing out. I am always around somewhere, if not, the rest of the team are. We look forward to seeing more of you Smiley Happy

Have a great day,

Kate

Online Community Manager

0 Kudos
duncan
New Contributor

Thanks Kate. I appreaite that. It certainly has been an awful lot for our family to process. I certainly am up and down. My next scan is at the end of this month, and hoping for good news there. 

0 Kudos
Paul_D
Contributor

Hi Duncan and I have only Bladder Cancer and indeed I have been clear for my last two Cystoscopy's so my Journey isn't as unpleasant as yours is turning out to be, my first twelve months was very intense with a high grade tumor removed plus cancer spots inside the bladder removed and treatments by the shovel load. This has settled down into what is described as "my new normal" which means I am have to deal with different things that I never dreamt of  previously, treatment is ongoing and however unpleasant it means I walk the planet which I hope you and I will be doing for a good while yet. Take love and support from family and friends  even though some don't understand what you are going through, I wish you the best in your journey and by the looks of it you have the right frame of mind to deal with whatever is thrown at you.

Love & Best Wishes

Paul 

0 Kudos
duncan
New Contributor

Thanks Paul. It's certainly been a tough road, but made easier with the support of those around me.  I have had a scan today, so we'll see how things are going then. I also wish you all the best on your journey too. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.