moving on after stage IV

Sav1986
Occasional Contributor

moving on after stage IV

Hi everyone,
I am new to this group after calling the council about getting some help for my mental recovery. I recently went into remission from stage IV stomach cancer.

I was a healthy fit 33 year old and have just finished my last round of chemo. I've started tablets and have to continue on immunotherapy for the foreseeable future.

Just as I came out of this the world went into lockdown which hasn't helped obviously.

I'm grateful for getting my life back, especially after initially being told there was no hope for me. I'm finding it hard to adjust back and I guess there is a level of survivors guilt when I still have friends fighting it everyday.

I think naturally the biggest thing for me is a fear of recurrence. I still cry a lot and find myself getting anxiety at random moments.

I guess I started this thread to try and connect with anyone who is now in remission and how they managed. I am meditating, playing music, exercising and speaking to a psychologist as well.

I have only been in remission 4 months.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
PeterK
Contributor

Re: moving on after stage IV

Bugger I thought I had sent a reply weeks alas not sent sorry.

i was diagnosed S4 in June 2019 had 3 rounds of chemo an 2 round of radiation therapy finished Dec 2019

last two CT scans have come back clear, so I’m pleased about that. Stay positive stay focused  set challenges and kick goals as even the small ones matter eat well be as STRONG as you can and love family and friends even more & above ALL Never Give Up 🆗👍👍👍

Wishing you all the very best for the future 

Sav1986
Occasional Contributor

Hi peter, 

Thanks for your reply it helped me a lot. I was initially diagnosed as terminal in the public system so i guess that initial diagnosis weighs on me. I beat it and went into remission in 8 weeks which was nothing short of a miracle. I guess my age helped with that and my body had a really good response to immunotherapy. 

My onco saw me on wednesday and said to stop taking my chemo pills as they were causing some side effects which weren't great. He also said next appointment I have to have my 6 month check up PET which triggered me a little bit. My tumour markers have remained low (like 3 and 10 when a normal persons is 38-40) so I have no reason to be anxious logically. I guess scanxiety is still a thing no matter how logical and well the first round of treatment went....

I think looking at your post once i pass the year mark (ironically past my prognosis date) still C free then I will start to relax. 

Your post has kept me grounded and I am going to see my gp to get on a mental health plan on Monday. I have been seeing as psychologist once a fortnight which now I think may not be enough leading up to my scan. 

Thanks again for your post Peter. Being stage IV doesn't mean you can't live a long life xx

PeterK
Contributor

Hi moving on
Just found this old post it brought back many a memory just touching base with you 2 c how You Are Going
I had an X-ray 3 weeks ago Dr very happy with results next ct scan in early October so in remission I’m relieved at that
at times still think about what if but I remain focused more on the now than the then
Keep your goals remain focused stay strong love those u love tell them show them.
Live your dreams never stop learning and growing live for every good day knowing that you will have the odd what if day
but above all know that you are important you matter, every day counts and we who all go through this journey it’s how we as individuals be it a husband a wife or a partner grow and develop is what makes us the person we are
All the Very Best 🆗
0 Kudos
PeterK
Contributor

Hi There

Sorry just found your reply post you described some very positive results which is good to hear

The journey  is often like a roller coaster ride but with good Drs and support staff and the love of family and friends this makes such a big difference.

I have just finished round 3 of 4 rounds of FLOT treatment which has kicked me on my arse, with severe fatigue bit one day at a time agh, hardest thing is putting on weight pre op 02/12

117 is now 71 but that’s ok just buy smaller clothes ha ha hav

My next Treatment 06/01 will be followed with a PET scan apprehensive about results but still setting goals kicking many although the posts do move but ALWAYS positive and Determined.

Thinking of you and yours and prayers as for me these have helped but it never hurts to try if thats an avenue for you go for it

Rich Blessing Always 🆗🌺🌺🌺

PeterK
Contributor

Sav 1986
Hi It’s 2300 can’t sleep, i was scrolling through some old posts I found your old post it’s easy to pen a post then forget about as we get caught up in our daily lives and routine but it’s always important to keep the communication going and thought it’s about time for a catch up,
So I hope you are making some progress and steps forward in the right direction, but still setting some goals but still taking that special time to smell the roses, spending valuable time together with family and friends and doing what we do so well, yes Fight Like Hell
Wishing you all the very best for the days ahead and rich blessings 🆗
PeterK
Contributor

Sav1986
Hi Sav, was just thinking about U and was wondering how U were going, well I hope?
I hope U went well with your mh plan and you now have something to work towards which often helps in taking those important steps forward.
I’m back to Perth for a PET scan which will be 8 weeks past last radiation therapy.
A little nervous for sure but I’m currently ok with my new “normal” as in, better adjusted to “it is what it is” let’s take one day at a time, but Don’t Over Think” things which I tend to do, so trying to stay as grounded and as realistic as I can.
Wishing you strength, positivity, wisdom and the knowledge that you have a good medical team behind you all working with and for you.
Kind Regards Peter 👍👍👍

0 Kudos
jesonl
New Contributor

Stage 4 cancer usually can't be cured. In addition, because it will have spread throughout the body, it is unlikely it can be completely removed.

0 Kudos
Sav1986
Occasional Contributor

Why is it necessary to write something like this? How do you think writing that makes any recent survivors feel? 

We are worried enough about recurrence without negativity being posted on a forum that is meant to be a safe space for us. 

And for the record I am a stage IV cancer survivor.... 3 years since my recovery and not a sign of cancer in my body. 

Kindly Fuck off with your utter lack of tact and empathy

0 Kudos
Annette_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Hi Sav1986
Improvements in diagnosing and treating cancer mean that more people are surviving and living with cancer. Your experience of and recovery from Stage IV cancer demonstrates this. Thank you so much for sharing this with our community, which our team strives to ensure is a safe space for people affected by cancer.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.