moving on after stage IV

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

moving on after stage IV

Hi everyone,
I am new to this group after calling the council about getting some help for my mental recovery. I recently went into remission from stage IV stomach cancer.

I was a healthy fit 33 year old and have just finished my last round of chemo. I've started tablets and have to continue on immunotherapy for the foreseeable future.

Just as I came out of this the world went into lockdown which hasn't helped obviously.

I'm grateful for getting my life back, especially after initially being told there was no hope for me. I'm finding it hard to adjust back and I guess there is a level of survivors guilt when I still have friends fighting it everyday.

I think naturally the biggest thing for me is a fear of recurrence. I still cry a lot and find myself getting anxiety at random moments.

I guess I started this thread to try and connect with anyone who is now in remission and how they managed. I am meditating, playing music, exercising and speaking to a psychologist as well.

I have only been in remission 4 months.

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: moving on after stage IV

Bugger I thought I had sent a reply weeks alas not sent sorry.

i was diagnosed S4 in June 2019 had 3 rounds of chemo an 2 round of radiation therapy finished Dec 2019

last two CT scans have come back clear, so I’m pleased about that. Stay positive stay focused  set challenges and kick goals as even the small ones matter eat well be as STRONG as you can and love family and friends even more & above ALL Never Give Up 🆗👍👍👍

Wishing you all the very best for the future 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi peter, 

Thanks for your reply it helped me a lot. I was initially diagnosed as terminal in the public system so i guess that initial diagnosis weighs on me. I beat it and went into remission in 8 weeks which was nothing short of a miracle. I guess my age helped with that and my body had a really good response to immunotherapy. 

My onco saw me on wednesday and said to stop taking my chemo pills as they were causing some side effects which weren't great. He also said next appointment I have to have my 6 month check up PET which triggered me a little bit. My tumour markers have remained low (like 3 and 10 when a normal persons is 38-40) so I have no reason to be anxious logically. I guess scanxiety is still a thing no matter how logical and well the first round of treatment went....

I think looking at your post once i pass the year mark (ironically past my prognosis date) still C free then I will start to relax. 

Your post has kept me grounded and I am going to see my gp to get on a mental health plan on Monday. I have been seeing as psychologist once a fortnight which now I think may not be enough leading up to my scan. 

Thanks again for your post Peter. Being stage IV doesn't mean you can't live a long life xx

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi moving on
Just found this old post it brought back many a memory just touching base with you 2 c how You Are Going
I had an X-ray 3 weeks ago Dr very happy with results next ct scan in early October so in remission I’m relieved at that
at times still think about what if but I remain focused more on the now than the then
Keep your goals remain focused stay strong love those u love tell them show them.
Live your dreams never stop learning and growing live for every good day knowing that you will have the odd what if day
but above all know that you are important you matter, every day counts and we who all go through this journey it’s how we as individuals be it a husband a wife or a partner grow and develop is what makes us the person we are
All the Very Best 🆗
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.