Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumours. pNETs

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumours. pNETs

Iā€™m a 62 year old male. On May 8th, 2016 I lost my wife after a long battle with cancer. I was generally in good health. I worked full time, nursed my wife during her down periods, and a runner.

in September 2016, I was feeling very sorry for myself, I was depressed and was avoiding my job, which I controlled for 28 years. At the insistence of my brother, and, father in law I saw my GP.  The GP sent me for blood tests and 3 days later I was in RNS hospital for scans.

Within a week of seeing my GP, I was diagnosed with pNETs, had a stent to clear my Bile Duct. Was in the care of an Oncologist, had emails, phone calls, appointments, scans and all seemingly on a daily basis.

I had absolutely NO IDEA I was anything but healthy. I ran marathons, physically active , just depressed & lonely for my wife of 30 years.

Now 2020, not only am I a physical wreck, but a mental one too. I feel like everything and one is too much trouble. 
Thank you for reading this, if your feeling the same, feel rest assured your not alone. There are people out here who understand, even if itā€™s only me.

Lindsay

1 REPLY 1
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumours. pNETs

Hi @Lindsay,

I just wanted to check in with you and thank you for all your posts here in the Online Community, you have been providing some great support to others affected by cancer as well as sharing your experiences, and I hope finding some support as well šŸ˜Š

You might be interested in our Telephone Support Groups (we call them TSG's for short). They are free, confidential and run roughly once a fortnight, nationally over the phone by our team here in Sydney. They are a great way to talk about what's going on for you, with other people going through a similar experience. We have groups for people living with advanced and pancreatic cancers. You might like to give the team a call on 1300 755 632 - or send me an email: onlinecommunity@nswcc.org.au with your best contact number if you would prefer, and I'll ask them to give you a call.

Cheers,

Kate

Cancer Council Online Community Manager

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.