Friend won't let anyone go with her to get her diagnosis

brhta
New Contributor

Friend won't let anyone go with her to get her diagnosis

Hello this is my first post and I applogise if this has been asked before. My friend is refusing to the anyone with her to get her diagnosis. She is convinced that the results of the pet scan are sinister. We all want to support her as she is convinced she is 'stuffed'. What I can do
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Friend won't let anyone go with her to get her diagnosis

This is really hard, but unfortunately you have to respect her wishes (that's one of the hardest things about being a supporter!) I think the only thing you can do is to be there for her before and after. You could ask her if it's ok if you call her after her appointment, to see how it went. You could also encourage her to take a pen and paper to the appointment, because in situations like that it's really hard to remember important details (and there's generally a lot of information to deal with.) You sound like a good friend to have- regardless of the outcome of the appointment, she's benefitting from your friendship. Good luck to all of you! love Emily
0 Kudos
brhta
New Contributor

Thank you, unfortunately the results aren't good. So it kind of makes this seem insignificant in a way compared to what little time my friend now has left 😞
0 Kudos
magagie
Occasional Contributor

Hi I myself have cancer and have been on the other side, trying to be a supporter. When my cousin got cancer she didn't want anyone to come to the hospital and it threw me right off. If you need someone to chat to about the diagnosis or just general venting I am here.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.