Employment/Career advice - post treatment

Traveller_In_Wa
Occasional Contributor

Re: Employment/Career advice - post treatment

Hey All, What a great topic to bring up Al! I myself have been wanting to get back into the workplace, but worry about how I'll cope with it. It's scary how much energy you lose and how much your fitness level decreases through treatment, which you dont realise until you try to get back to what you did before your diagnosis. I've struggled with the idea of do I tell or do I not for a while, and am glad that this topic has been posted so I can get other peoples opinions. When I was diagnosed I'd just recieved a promotion at work, and luckily they said that when I was ready to return to work I would have a position with them if I chose it. Which I think is great. But after I'd been diagnosed I saw a few of the people I used to work with, and it was rather awkward. I completely understand the feeling stevec, and it's not a great one. I'm contemplating doing something different, like Al said, and his question is the same as mine.. what? Let us know how it goes Al, maybe the job was missed for a reason, because another one even better is coming your way!
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

Hi Al, I know it was ages ago i said i would try and get you some info on this topic. just so you know, I have put in request at the CC for this to be followed up. will let you know as soon as i get the word! Nikki.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Interesting that i should come across this thread as i have decided that i dont want to go back to the position i had before cancer and am not even sure if there is a job available to me. I have certainly been given a career change some thought and wondering if its going to be possible and which direction to head in etc... Course having treatment makes this a long slow process.
0 Kudos
harker
Frequent Contributor

Jules2 It might sound strange to hear this right now, but nevertheless: don't underestimate the good strategic position you are in regarding making changes in your working life. You have the best cover available, that being 'cancer patient'. The outside world doesn't have a clue what you are really thinking, so take some small steps using people's empathy/sympathy/condescension/whatever, and see what happens. You might be surprised. I know this sounds opportunistic, but you don't owe anyone anything. H
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey harker It is not strange to read your post at all. I do/have used my position in small ways to get where i need to be. Not totally altruistic here, however, if something needs to be changed then it does. For instance, i have offered in my chemo head state to talk to my local rotary club. I figure if i am bald and up there talking about my experiences then people will "listen and hear" in a different way than if i was outwardly appearing normal. Now in a personally altruistic way, i might get offered a job from one of the people in rotary. Well, bit way out but you never know. At times i sit and think this is exciting and its a chance to change and do something that i really want to. At other times its scary as being ill costs a fortune despite pats etc... Thanks for your reply, its helped to put my head back in the right place. :) Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.