Return to work

twinkletoeswils
Not applicable

Return to work

Hello It has been 4 months since I finished my chemotherapy for chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. I am a teacher and have not yet returned to work but will likely begin in April. I am wondering how others did with energy and fighting infections after returning to work. I am just starting to get some energy back and am excited to get back into a stronger fitness routine. Tinneke
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
samex
Regular Contributor

Re: Return to work

Hi. I've just retired from teaching. I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in August 2007 and had the usual surgery and 6 months of chemo and returned to work 4 weeks after finishing chemo in April 2008. I'm really pleased to hear that you waited much longer than I did to return! Smart move! If you can, try to start part time. MAybe job sharing with whoever has had your job until now.As you know, teaching is exhausting enough on a good day let alone when you are worn out by chemo and perhaps dealing with the emotional issues associated with cancer as well.Even having one day off perweek makes all the diffeence. If you have your own family as well, it is even harder. I was really bad at saying'no' to people BC, but when I went back to work I would often not put my hand up anymore. I would always be there when kids needed something but all the extra work I learnt that someone else could do it! If you need a day or two off at times, take it. I ddin't have a problem with actually getting sick that often (I think I have the constitution of an ox) but soemtimes it just got the better of me. I also developed depression and teaching doesn't help that at times! You will get there, but be really kind to yourself and don't take on any more than you need to. Part time for another couple of terms aat least would be a good way in. Talk to your Principal. Mine was awesome. Good luck!! S
0 Kudos
0821abroad
Occasional Contributor

Hello My Doctor has just raised 'return to work' as a topic for our future appointments... Though I'd been trying to prepare for it (in my head) - I was so surprised and did a great goldfish imitation. Made him laugh (rare for him). Have now booked flights to visit home to flush out my resume and have talk or two at my old work place. Added bonus of seeing children. Hope your gradual program with school going well!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Steve1

I had tongue cancer as a primary and a tumour in the thoart ,i finished my treatment i mid april 2016 , in total was off work for 12 months have just gone back to work 1st feb ,feeling it and finding musles i haven't used in a while . but happy i'm back at work . it will take a while till i'm back up to full strength. ,but it is good to have my independance back , it take tme , but don't go back until you feel ready . all the best

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.