Chemo drugs and low blood pressure

deejjay
Contributor

Chemo drugs and low blood pressure

I'm currently on taxol and herceptin and have found over the past few weeks my blood pressure has dropped from around 125/75-80 to as low as 100-90/60 (this week 105/70 after a long walk from the car plus a skinny latte but then was). I raised this with the oncologist and he felt it wasn't low enough to be of concern and he reminded me I would be having a gated heart scan in early May. Does anyone know if chemo drugs drop BP and whether this is permanent. I don't mind 110/60-70 but no lower.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Not applicable

Re: Chemo drugs and low blood pressure

Hi Deejjay, How scary that is for you! Keep asking questions until you get answers. My dad has the same problem, and last time ended up in hospital! He ended up with a fairly simple solution for him luckily! They found that he is getting dehydrated and that was causing his blood pressure to drop. He was still drinking heaps of water but has had to increase his intake incredibly. He tried the walk from the car and a cappuccino too (he won't do the skinny latte yet)but last time it was still REALLY low (around 90/50)! He also had fairly low bp prior to the cancer - just not this low! I hope they find the cause of your low BP. They say that dads will hopefully come back up after he finishes the chemo (still around 4 or so months away though!) Hope you have a lovely weekend! And good luck in finding out what is causing your blood pressure to be low! Katie 🙂
0 Kudos
rickhop
Deceased

Re: Chemo drugs and low blood pressure

I also having a problem with low BP staying sometimes in 80's. Been to ER for fluids and Cancer center cannot seem to drink enough water. staying dehydrated no matter how much water I drink

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.