Costs of Pallative care

Win
Occasional Contributor

Costs of Pallative care

Hi can anyone tell me what the costs are for a Pallative Care Nurse - one booked through an Agency that is....indicative is fine, I'm just after a ballpark $$ so that i can see if we can afford it... Hubby has requested to remain at home for as long as possible. He hates the thought of going into a hospice. With kids and trying to juggle their needs with his this really is the best option for all of us and allows the kids to have a more "normal" interaction with him instead of visiting him and having to say goodbye all the time. The issue I think I will have though is the costs... We do have the community nurse now coming to the house for an hour a fortnight but I am going to need someone here with him during the day as I need to work a couple of days a week... Would really appreciate any feedback/guidance on this as I am struggling to work it out. I have googled and found a few sites ... I hate just going on a web site though, would rather I have some feedback to gauge if the Coy is reputable with good staff it's quite overwhelming at the moment!....
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Costs of Pallative care

Hi Win I just did a very quick search and according to the page I landed on, palliative care is covered by Medicare and also private health insurance. Are you in contact with a social worker or cancer nurse? They can be amazing in providing information and helping access resources. With a young family and ill husband I am sure any help you can get would be appreciated. All the best Julie
0 Kudos
chocymoose
Not applicable

Hi, Don't have any answers but can understand that it is very overwhelming. Take care, hope you find the info you are looking for.
0 Kudos
Keri
Occasional Contributor

palative care is free through Medicare. Get in touch with his GP or oncologist and they will be able to get this in place.

my mum was with silver chain and they were all so amazing. All there services from cooking to cleaning to personal care etc was free of charge also. They would anything to help you and the family out in anyway

we had the social worker come out once but between 3 adults looking after mum we didn't need the addional services. 

I guess if you go privately you pay for this or the gap if you have private Heath although not sure on this as mum was a public patient. 

Hope this info helps. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.