Help me make a difference for other survivors

CJ86
New Contributor

Help me make a difference for other survivors

Hi All, 6 years ago, at 29 years of age I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. Thankfully, I have since recovered emotionally and physically. I was very fortunate to have amazing support from family and friends. Admittedly, the most impactful support I found, was from strangers going through the same thing I was. When your doctors and nurses tell you, that the hardest part is your recovery post cancer, it's hard to understand that could possible by the case, but my gosh wasn't that the truth.

There is so much information and advice for people during the treatment stage, but not a lot out there to get you through the journey afterwards. At this stage of my life I am passionate about making a difference to those who have experienced gynaecological cancers but am conscious no two experiences are the same.

I'm looking to connect with other people who have experienced gynecological cancer and are willing to share their story with me. Please be assured that any details you share with me, will be held in the strictest of confidence. I'm hoping with this information I can look to make others road to recovery less bumpy than what we have traveled. I would be more than happy to connect and chat in more detail.

4 REPLIES 4
Susana_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Re: Help me make a difference for other survivors

Hi CJ86,

Thank you for joining the Online Community,  a place to support each other, we do not encourage members to connect outside the online community.  Here you can connect, share and provide support in a safe and private manner.

Kind regards

Susana

CCNSW

0 Kudos
EG1
New Contributor

Hello. I had cervical cancer & finished treatment Aug 2022. I still have bowel & digestive problems & I get anxiety now. My friend that was getting treatment with me passed away & I feel like I now have nobody to talk to. 

0 Kudos
CJ86
New Contributor

Hi, thanks so much for responding to my post. I'm so sorry to hear you lost your friend. It must be incredibly difficult losing someone and grieving while you're also trying to recover yourself. I know how much of a difference it can make being able to talk with people who can relate to your experience and really haven't spoken with anyone who's been in my shoes since I completed my treatment. Bowel and digestive issues sound really challenging. I admittedly don't know a great deal about these side affects. If you don't mind me asking, are these as a result of radiation or surgery etc? In your experience is there much information or  guidance on practical approaches or solutions to assist you? One of the main physical challenges I experienced was recovering internally from radiation and having to using dilators. I was already struggling with self image after my treatment and I found the experience very traumatic. I'm also quite young, don't have children and now no longer able to carry a child. This was actually the hardest thing to come to terms with for me.

0 Kudos
EG1
New Contributor

Hello & I'm sorry that you are struggling. I am too. My bowel & digestive system are affected from radiation. Probably the internal radiation. I struggled with the dialators too. I'm finally on the biggest one now. I haven't done it for a while so I will probably go back a size. I had my son stay for Christmas. I have signed up with Couch Centre where I live & will start going while I'm still on holidays & hopefully during the year. Thanks for chatting with me 💝

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.