Merkel Cell Carcinoma

bev
Frequent Contributor

Merkel Cell Carcinoma

Hello to everyone too, Yes, I agree with Merkel,. It is easy to share to your thoughts on here, so don't be shy. There is sure to be someone on the forum who has had similar experiences with their journey. A problem or thought shared is a problem or thought halved. Best wishes to everyone.
0 Kudos
joyhoney
Occasional Contributor

Re: Merkel Cell Carcinoma

Hello, new to this forum. I too had treatment at the Mater, suprising how just that piece of news made my day. I had leukaemia in 2002. Joyhoney
0 Kudos
Merkel
Contributor

Merkel Cell Carcinoma

Hi Margro, Your prayers are most appreciated. Every sufferer & carer has a big story behind their journey. It's amazing how we get through it all, but we do, and we are a better person for the journey we have travelled. I still have two close friends with cancer going through treatment at the moment. I'm giving them and their families as much support as I can. When you have friends diagnosed with cancer they come to you for guidance and support. We've had strangers ring us at home looking for answers. I know every step of the journey they will take, what stage their at in their journey, their fears, family, bewilderment, that lost feeling, depression, the waiting, the anger, what does the future hold,  where to from here. I've been there as a sufferer, carer and giving support to others.  My grandfather, father, brother, husband, cousin, aunt and myself all had different cancers.  I haven't been sent down this bumpy old road for nothing. I'm now involved with support groups. I hope I can make a difference.   Take care, Merkel
0 Kudos
Merkel
Contributor

Merkel Cell Carcinoma

Hi Jenny, I know how your feeling at the moment. When you have an appointment due, you start feeling a little down and nervous, every little pain you have you think it's the cancer. Your not alone in your thoughts. Once you've seen the doctors, things will seem a lot better. After I had a checkup & all was ok. I felt great, then, just before my next checkup, about a week or two before, those fears came back. It's a natural process going through these feelings.  Jenny, you didn't tell me what kind of cancer you have or anything about your treatment. Please let me know how you go today, keep in touch. It's important to talk about what your feeling, especially to people who have been there.   Take care, Merkel
0 Kudos
Merkel
Contributor

Merkel Cell Carcinoma

Hi Anniem, Thank you for your reply, it's good to share your experiences with others. Letting people know there's support out there & their not alone. Take care, Merkel
0 Kudos
Merkel
Contributor

Hi All, I'm starting to come back on board after losing my husband to bladder cancer last year. I'm an eight year survivor of Merkel Cell Carcinoma. I'm the only cancer survivor of seven. My grandfather died of stomach cancer. My father died of Melanoma, My brother & aunt both died of bowel cancer. My cousin died of lung cancer. My husband died of bladder cancer. With my experience with cancer I hope I can help & support others on this site. Take care, Merkel
0 Kudos
Merkel
Contributor

Merkel Cell Carcinoma

Hi everyone, How are you all going out there. Don't be shy in asking questions or for help. I'm only too happy to help, that's what were here for to support one another. I'd like to share something with you all. It's now February 2009. My anniversary. I've now survived 7 years from MCC with no recurrence. Merkel
0 Kudos
deejjay
Contributor

Hi Merkel Sorry to hear of all your losses. Losing so many family members to cancer is hard. But congratulations on your own story. Jenny sorry to hear of your loss with your husband as well. It is hard when the person doesn't go ahead with treatment, I had a friend who did that with breast cancer and it's frustrating as the person could be still around today. Merkel I do agree with you that it's important for all people to be vigilant about their medical checks. Can be hard for some as some doctors will view that as being hypochondria but one still has to insist even if it means going to a new doctor to get it done. Take care DJ
0 Kudos
MerkelCellCommu
Not applicable

Hi Merkel, Thank you for sharing your story and starting this conversation. Your strength is so inspiring and you have probably helped more people than you will ever know. Hi Steve, I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. OncoSec is currently enrolling patients for a Merkel cell carcinoma clinical trial. If you're interested, you can find out more information here: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01440816?term=merkel+cell+carcinoma&rank=3 Best wishes to you all, MCC
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.