Move back to Oz - advice please!

Sajaro
New Contributor

Move back to Oz - advice please!

Hello!

My situation is quite complex but I’m hoping someone out there might help with some questions. I am an Australian living in the UK. I was diagnosed with stage 3C ovarian cancer in Oct 2016. After surgery and six months of chemo (carboplatin/taxol), I was cancer free for 12 months but relapsed in April this year. I’ve just finished six months of carboplatin/caelyx. In January, I will be starting on a parp-inhibitor (niraparib) to try to prolong a relapse. I want to use the disease-free time I have to move my family back to Sydney, to be closer to friends and family.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is niraparib (or similar) available in Australia and is it available through the PBS? Or will private health insurers cover it? I have sent an email to the fund we will be covered by, but haven’t heard back yet.

2. Does anyone with ovarian cancer have recommendations for oncologists in Sydney, preferably North side? Does the new hospital at Frenchs Forest have cancer services?

3. Has anyone here with a late stage ovarian cancer diagnosis successfully accessed their superannuation on compassionate grounds? 

Thanks in advance,

SJR

2 REPLIES 2
CathV
Occasional Contributor

Re: Move back to Oz - advice please!

Olaparib is available on the PBS, added early 2017.

Frenchs Forest does have a cancer service: http://www.northernbeachescancercare.com.au/

Best of luck to you - Catherine (cancer survivor for now and also a clinical librarian)
Sajaro
New Contributor

Re: Move back to Oz - advice please!

Hi again, 

Thanks Cath, appreciate your reply. Do you (or anyone else) know if Olaparib is available to women who are BRCA negative? 

Kind regards

Sarah

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.