My story

malo1
Occasional Contributor

My story

Where to begin I am a 5yr survivor of oral cancer which came too my attention because I had mets to the neck so went to Brisbane for treatment which consisted of 4weeks radiation and 3 chemo treatment staying at the cancer lodge down from the hospital RBH and now 5yrs later it has had a profound affect on me because I made peace with myself whether I lived or died and just too put that in perspective I am a father of four and also a grandfather of four and a partner for my life mate Michelle which made this journey so much more bearable even when I was at one of my weakest moments she wanted too walk to the hospital which is a ten minute walk normally but at this point in time it felt like an eternity but I believe it did me the world of good and too sum it all up the MRI scans before and after I call them fire and ice because the first showed like my neck was on fire and the last one was blue like ice and all clear so yeah that's the short version of my journey so far my name is Bruce so much love and peace too all.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Paul.Mac
Occasional Contributor

Re: My story

Hi Bruce, Great to hear you've come out the other side with such a positive outcome and attitude. I know exactly what you mean about coming to terms with where you are and what might happen next. The ultimate reality that I came to understand was that we are all headed in the same direction. It just would have been a shame if that was the end. Still lots of living to do. That's my zen thought for the day. Cheers, Paul
0 Kudos
malo1
Occasional Contributor

Re: My story

Hello Paul and thanks for the reply and yes I am very fortunate with my outcome thus far but also very grateful for the last 5yrs even with all the pain and misery I wouldn't change a thing because everything I went through brought me here and right now despite everything that could be seen as a negative I could safely say I am one of the most happiest men in the world and the fact is I had too go through hell to get here but I am not a religious man but I am spiritual and with that I will sign off by saying its easy being negative when you think everything is going wrong but just stop and try too be positive and it will literally change your life peace!!!!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.