Small Bowel Cancer

Kat17
New Contributor

Small Bowel Cancer

Hello, 

I was diagnosed with small bowel cancer in late Oct 2023.  Surgery was successful and I completed 4 rounds of Chemo.  I am now doing surveillance - 3 monthly checkups.  During all of this, my anxiety was under control - I pretty much disassociated through the whole thing.  But now, the floodgates have opened.  Anxiety is creeping in ... intrusive thoughts - the what ifs .....  Does any one know of any in-person support groups - or activity groups in the Melbourne area for Female Cancer Survivors. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
annamavis
Frequent Visitor

Re: Small Bowel Cancer

Hey there,

I'm really sorry to hear about what you're going through. Dealing with cancer and its aftermath can be incredibly challenging, and it's totally normal to experience anxiety and intrusive thoughts during this time.

I can relate to some of what you're feeling. When I was diagnosed with cancer, I also struggled with anxiety, especially during the post-treatment phase. It's like once the initial shock wears off, all the emotions start to catch up with you.

Finding support groups or activity groups for female cancer survivors in the Melbourne area can be really helpful. Being able to connect with others who have gone through similar experiences can provide a sense of understanding and camaraderie that's hard to find elsewhere.

I've personally found a lot of comfort in attending support groups, where I could share my feelings and experiences with others who truly understood. It might take some time to find the right group for you, but I encourage you to reach out to local hospitals, cancer centers, or community organizations for resources and recommendations.

Remember, you're not alone in this journey, and it's okay to seek support when you need it. Take care of yourself, and don't hesitate to reach out if you need someone to talk to.

Kat17
New Contributor

Re: Small Bowel Cancer

Thank you

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.