Animals instinct

Jax
Occasional Contributor

Re: Animals instinct

Hi Sarah, My cat looks very similar to the pic, this was an avatar i chose on the website. I havent had treatment yet, but home from hospital since 22 December and of course had drs appts in between then and now so as much as we dont like smell of medical, maybe he can pick up on it as well. My sister in law had a cat and he used to be all over her 24/7 then she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and when she came home for her last weeks, he would sit and stare at her in the doorway of her bedroom, he would never go near her - i thought that very strange as you would think they would want to cuddle you more and give you comfort, same with my cat he is almost 3 years old so age could be a factor in this instance, although my sister in laws cat was older. I may look at getting a female cat LOL and show my male cat what its all about. Regards, Jax
0 Kudos
Jax
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sarah, My cat looks very similar to the pic, this was an avatar i chose on the website. I havent had treatment yet, but home from hospital since 22 December and of course had drs appts in between then and now so as much as we dont like smell of medical, maybe he can pick up on it as well. My sister in law had a cat and he used to be all over her 24/7 then she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and when she came home for her last weeks, he would sit and stare at her in the doorway of her bedroom, he would never go near her - i thought that very strange as you would think they would want to cuddle you more and give you comfort, same with my cat he is almost 3 years old so age could be a factor in this instance, although my sister in laws cat was older. I may look at getting a female cat LOL and show my male cat what its all about. Regards, Jax
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

G'day there There are lot's pf stories around about animals instinct, dogs being able to detect cancer and so on. I know there have been a few trials on using trained dogs to detect certain cancers, not sure of the results. However, I do have a personal experience. We have a rather large Moggie, a real gentle giant, but all of 8 kg. You know it when he jumps up on you in bed! The first time carrot-top and blondie, the twin grandsons stayed overnight with us. I was woken by Moggie not only jumping up on me but walking up and down until I got up. Carrot top had somehow or other got on top of his bed clothes, was cold and was whimpering slighty, but still asleep. Both of them needed a nappy change. Did all the necessaries, put them back to bed with Moggie in charge. Cheers Sailor. Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books. John Lubbock
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

G'day there There are lot's pf stories around about animals instinct, dogs being able to detect cancer and so on. I know there have been a few trials on using trained dogs to detect certain cancers, not sure of the results. However, I do have a personal experience. We have a rather large Moggie, a real gentle giant, but all of 8 kg. You know it when he jumps up on you in bed! The first time carrot-top and blondie, the twin grandsons stayed overnight with us. I was woken by Moggie not only jumping up on me but walking up and down until I got up. Carrot top had somehow or other got on top of his bed clothes, was cold and was whimpering slightly, but still asleep. Both of them needed a nappy change. Did all the necessaries, put them back to bed with Moggie in charge. Cheers Sailor. Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books. John Lubbock
0 Kudos
sarah
Contributor

I found this article on the net: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/01/060106002944.htm Can Dogs Smell Cancer? "Researchers reveal scientific evidence that a dog's extraordinary scenting ability can distinguish people with both early and late stage lung and breast cancers from healthy controls." I still wonder why the would avoid if they did know. Although, I was thinking about this last night and had a vague memory of experiencing similar at some stage (cannot remember when), and wondering - perhaps morbidly - whether I was already partly dead, or my aura/soul or whatever, was already seeping from my body at the animal in question maybe couldn't see me. I hope this isn't depressing for anyone. I share with the intelligent assumption that, we have all had thoughts about death on our journey, and it's healthy and more helpful to be open about these thoughts.
0 Kudos
sarah
Contributor

I found this article on the net: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/01/060106002944.htm Can Dogs Smell Cancer? "Researchers reveal scientific evidence that a dog's extraordinary scenting ability can distinguish people with both early and late stage lung and breast cancers from healthy controls." It doesn't answer why an animal would avoid if they did know however. I was thinking about this last night and had a vague memory of experiencing similar at some stage (cannot remember when), and wondering - perhaps morbidly - whether I was already partly dead, or my aura/soul or whatever, was already seeping from my body to another "level" and that the animal in question maybe couldn't see me clearly anymore. I hope this isn't depressing for anyone. I share with the intelligent assumption that, we have all had thoughts about death on our journey, and in my thinking, it's healthy and more helpful to be open about these thoughts.
0 Kudos
sarah
Contributor

Here's the cat one in the nursing home: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6919063.stm A cat has apparently "predicted" the deaths of 25 residents in a nursing home in the US. It seems fanciful but can pets detect illness or even death?
0 Kudos
sarah
Contributor

Here's another that discusses how animals can sense it: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110817194548.htm "This method relies on identifying volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that are linked to the presence of cancer. Although many different technological applications have been developed, this method is still difficult to apply in a clinical setting as patients aren't allowed to smoke or eat before the test, sample analysis can take a long time and there is also a high risk of interference. Because of these reasons, no lung cancer-specific VOCs have yet been identified."
0 Kudos
Wally71
Visitor

Yes I swam with the dolphin and one kept pushing on my left side with its beak. I later found out I had cancer in my left kidney.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.