Newly Diagnosed

Beckydodd
Occasional Visitor

Newly Diagnosed

I am 36 and have recently been diagnosed with Cervical Cancer, early stages. 
I am sitting in the unknown atm, I have MRI, PET scans etc booked. 
Did anyone follow a strict diet, cut out alcohol? 
What do you take / do to help with anxiety, and stress?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Susana_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Re: Newly Diagnosed

Hello Beckydodd,

Thank you for reaching out and joining our online community. I am sure you have so many questions about your diagnosis, I hope others in the community would like to share their experience with Cervical Cancer.

In the mean time I am sending you a link from the Cancer Council Website, which provides some information about Cervical cancer. I hope you find it useful.

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/cervical-cancer/ 

Kind regards and best wishes

Susana

Cancer Council 

Online Community

0 Kudos
Robyn2
New Contributor

Hi I've had cervical cancer had chemo x6 and radiation x 5 days a week for 5 weeks, and then brachytherapy.  Sounds daunting but you get through it without losing your hair.  I am also a member of a Facebook pages especially for Cervical Cancer Aust/NZ support group.  This is worth joining for support.

Best of luck with your journey .

Robyn2

0 Kudos
Rbeemer

I've been prescribed lorazapam and it really helps with anxiety. It keeps your mind from racing. I've told my care providers it should be prescribed to everyone with a cancer diagnosis! I had one trip to the ER before being prescribed.

0 Kudos
Surya
New Contributor

I sincerely regret learning of your new diagnosis. When presented with such news, it's quite reasonable to feel overwhelmed and anxious. I'm not qualified to give medical advice, but I can provide some broad information that may be useful.

It's always a good idea to discuss dietary and lifestyle modifications with your healthcare team, including a qualified dietitian, to find what works best for you. All things considered, a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats can promote general health and potentially lessen the adverse effects of cancer treatment. Eliminating alcohol may also be a good idea because drinking has been linked to a higher risk of developing several malignancies, including cervical cancer. 

Regarding the management of stress and anxiety, there are various approaches you may take into consideration:

1. Seek Support: Never be afraid to ask for help from friends, family, or support networks. Speaking with people who have experienced comparable things can be reassuring and insightful.
  2. Mindfulness and Relaxation Techniques: Activities that help lower anxiety and increase calmness include progressive muscular relaxation, yoga, meditation, and deep breathing techniques.
  3. Stay Informed: Acquiring knowledge can confer empowerment. Learn as much as you can about your disease, available treatments, and what to anticipate. But watch out for stuffing your mind with too much knowledge from dubious sources.
  4. Stay Active: Engaging in light exercise, such as walking, can help reduce stress and elevate mood. It's also beneficial to your general wellness.
  5. Consider Therapy: Consulting with a counselor or therapist who specializes in anxiety management or cancer might offer helpful coping mechanisms and support.
  6. Maintain Routine: In an uncertain period, maintaining a regular schedule might help create a sense of stability.
  7. Limit Media Exposure: Even though it's critical to remain educated, anxiety may rise if upsetting news or information regarding cancer is constantly exposed to you. Establish limits on how much media you consume if necessary.
  8. Express Yourself: Expressing your emotions can help reduce stress, whether by writing in a journal, creating art or music, or speaking with a trusted friend or relative.

At this moment, don't forget to treat yourself with kindness. It's acceptable to experience a range of emotions, and it's critical to allow yourself the time and space to deal with them. Please don't hesitate to contact your healthcare team with any questions or concerns; they are there to support you.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.