"Events" Section....

bleh
Contributor

"Events" Section....

So, I see there is an 'Events' section at the top of the page, but when I click on it, was a little disappointed to see that there were no events scheduled. :( How do we go about arranging coffee dates? Playgroups for those of us with children, dinner for those of us who really need a night out with people who understand what we're going through? I realise we're all in different states, but i'd really like to get together with some people in Brisbane/Logan/Gold Coast/ Queensland etc to meet new people, for support for ourselves, our families and our partners. What are all your views on the topic? Or is this totally irrelevant as I am a relative 'newbie' at this?!! lmao Chemo Brain!! Joanna xo
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable

Re: "Events" Section....

Hi joeyanna, Thank your for your post regarding the Events section of the website. My name is Felix and I am a current Cancer Council NSW staff member and one of the website administrators. The Events section is designed to be used as a calendar that lets users of Cancer Connections know when events such as scheduled online groups are being held, and also marks special events such as the live chat conversation held last November. e.g., 'LIVE CHAT on complementary therapies this Thursday! Start: 12 Nov 2009 17:30'; 'Week 6 - Survivors Online Support Group Start: 14 Oct 2009 19:00 End: 14 Oct 2009 20:30' The social contacts, meetings and outings that you mention in your post could be arranged with other users in your area via private message. We do however, ask all users of Cancer Connections to be careful when disclosing personal information and making contact with others. The 'How to use this website' provides advice around this: http://www.cancerconnections.com.au/content/how-use-website 'What you should do to protect your identity and those of others: - Don't post your personal contact details. Your username and homepage should protect your identity. - Don't contact others by direct email (use our messaging system). - Never give out information you know about other people - particularly contact details. - Think carefully before meeting up with another user. This is an online community - if you choose to meet another user, you do so at your own risk. Kind regards, Felix
0 Kudos
larn75
Contributor

Hi Joanna I am a qlder like yourself and found an excellent site that can point you towards support groups near you. As always it is through the cancer council, wonderful orginisation that it is! :-) This is the link http://www.cancerqld.org.au/page/need_support/support_programs Hope there is something on there that will give you some extra support when you need it. I do a lot of charity work for cancer and have met so many fantastic people along the way. They are the sort of people who run these groups. Feel free to private message me whenever you want to. Hope you are feeling better. Alana
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Joanna, I think it is a great idea. Maybe if you try posting something non specific like "Meet up's for Queenslanders". There may be some response that way, or you could contact the cancer council and they will tell you where there is a support group close to where you live. You could also try putting up some info in your hospital or local paper, playgroup newletters etc - without giving out too much detail and start a group to meet somewhere like a school hall or library. If you cant find anything close by, just start one yourself. We do have to be careful when disclosing personal info online but Im sure there is a way you can go about it. I wish I lived closer as I would love to meet up with you for a cuppa and a chat! Take care Vanessa Sorry just wanted to add that there is someone at the cancer council you can speak with who can give you some info about safely starting up a support group, I can not remember her details now but if you phone them Im sure they will point you in the right direction.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.