How are you doing?

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Re: How are you doing?

Oh, that’s good to hear Budgie ( chemo), how long until the eye is fully healed? It’s great your vision is already noticeably better. Just hold tight for the right.

Good news on your partners op. He can do without the pain though. I hope he can get off the Endone real quick.

I guess it’s time for you to sit back & relax after a busy week, even if it’s only for a hour or two.

Thanks for your kind words Budgie, you take great care of each other, I’m sure you will....Lindsay🌞

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

That’s the way you have to read it kJ, good luck...

0 Kudos
Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Hi all,

I'm just wondering about masks.  There's a lot of conflicting information about wearing masks.  Globally, 50 doctors have died from the virus and I don't know how many nurses.  That's really frightening.  If professional cannot protect themselves, I worry that we will be able to.  

I had to go to a chemist yesterday to pick up a script that a doctor sent out after a teleconferencing call.  I was surprised that the chemist did not have a delivery services set up as that would have been much safer.  I asked the chemist if they had any face masks.  I was told no and you don't need one.  I was bit worried about how this person could possibly know whether I need one or not.  

Does the cancer council have any spare masks?

Good things about the lockdown?  Life is pretty much the same for me as still recovering.  Anxiety is high though.  We're living through some frightening times.  Dogs are absolutely loving it.  I feel terribly sorry for the poor people, the homeless and those without family support, who will struggle with this.  We have a home.  We have a freezer full of prepared meals that will last us for at least a month.  I am eternally grateful that I'm not stuck in a cruise ship somewhere or isolated in a hotel room.  We have our garden, bees and walks to keep us happily occupied.  My husband is still able to work and provide an income.  I think one of the best things to come out of this is that we will truly value our connections to the outside world and our families.  We will deeply appreciate them even more after this.  So many things we have taken for granted.  Thank goodness we have Medicare and one of the best public hospital systems in the world.  We are very grateful.  

Budgie
Super Contributor

The eye can take anywhere up to 8 weeks to heal properly, apparently. I hope it doesn't take that long, but it doesn't hurt at all. 🙂
Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

No pain, that’s good. Eight weeks to heal no so. Do you have to wait the full 8 weeks before starting back on the chemo?

Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi Lampwork54,
Great to hear from you.
Because of our compromised immune system, I would advise all cancer patients to wear a mask when they go out if they're on chemo. The authorities are only saying we - the public - don't need to wear a mask because there's not enough for the health workers. The virus can linger in the air for up to 3 hours when someone coughs. I for one, will always wear a mask when I go out. But, I'm lucky enough to have some. Hubby has always kept a small supply of masks, vomit bags, etc since I was diagnosed.
Budgie

Budgie
Super Contributor

I hope not, but will need the go ahead from my onc.
Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Hi Lampwork54,

I really loved your thoughtful post. I especially thought your mention of the homeless was excellent. I had to be in Sydney just recently for medical appointments. I too couldn’t stop thinking of the homeless and what they must be thinking. Where are all the people? what am I going to eat? what is going on?

We are overwhelmed by the information given to us. Some of the street people have no access to any news, it must be frightening. Not to mention the vision of mask wearing police, on the streets with soldier backup.

Thank you for highlighting it Lampworks54

kj
Super Contributor

Thanks Lindsay.

Sarah11
Occasional Contributor

Dear Kate and everyone,

Thank you so much for creating this space! I am having immunotherapy for stage IV melanoma (although had to cease after three cycles due to some pretty interesting autoimmune side effects), but I now have to take complete truckloads of prednisolone to keep things under control! I am married with three young kids, and we are managing pretty well, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about my heightened risk. And every one else here- I hope you're all going ok in these very unreasonable times.

I would love to know any of your tips and tricks for maintaining a household kids while you deal with cancer, immunosuppression and treatment, ie who does the cleaning, laundry, oversees the homeschooling, how much do you hug your kids (there seem to be so many different recommendations on this...), are you sequestering yourself in a separate room (if you are able to)… Any thoughts would be so welcomed. For my part, I love that our house is now so clean all the time!

Thinking of everyone, and thanks for reading,

Sarah x

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.