Making a cloth face mask

Katekat
Valued Contributor

Making a cloth face mask

Are you handy with a sewing machine? Have you been using a cloth face mask at some point over the past year? Well-made cloth face masks can be a good alternative to surgical face masks, they are often more cost effective and even better, they are re-useable.

Where do I start?

Start by looking around at what's available. You may have a friend or family member who could sew you one, or someone in your local area may be making them to sell, usually at around $10-15 each.

If you have a sewing machine and/or overlocker, you can definitely make your own. Spotlight have some fantastic video tutorials on making all kinds of masks, and they are an easy place to get your mask-making supplies from right across Australia.

The Victorian government released a pattern here  and the NSW government, released their guide to making one here.

What next?

Choose your materials. Current recommendations are to use quilting cotton for 2 layers (outer/inner) with a water resistant filter in the middle. Whether you use a pattern with a pocket for a filter, or sew-in a filter, that's up to you. You also need to decide about elastic or binding to secure your mask when wearing, and if you want to use a nose wire or not.

Then get sewing!

Have you got any tips? Do you have a good pattern to share?

If you've made or have been wearing a cloth mask, why not share a photo of yourself in one? 💕

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Making a cloth face mask

In the spirit of sharing, I've made hundreds of masks over the past year that have been sent off to different places that need them and for family and friends. I sew, a lot, though mostly clothes for my kids and such.

My favoured pattern is the Twig+Tale pattern (it's free!), which has a panel or pleated version and has sizes from a small child right through several for adults. I use the panel version as it has a pocket for an additional filter, and I sew in a filter by using the inner template, so they are 3-layer with space for more filters as needed. To keep costs down, I get the non-woven pillow protectors made of polypropylene from Big W, Target or Kmart etc. You can also get mattress protectors in the same, I find the pillow protectors easier to deal with.

Have you been making masks? I'd love to see some photos!! 🙂

0 Kudos
ActuariesDiseas
Contributor

Re: Making a cloth face mask

I agree, please send some photos!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.