What does it mean to have cancer during COVID-19?

Aroha
Cancer Council NSW

What does it mean to have cancer during COVID-19?

We’re all in this together ❤️ and its never been more vital that we take care of one another. But are we really seeing the whole picture of what it means to have cancer during COVID-19? I would love to read stories from anyone affected by cancer: cancer patients, carers, family members and friends about what it means to have cancer during COVID-19. 

4 REPLIES 4
EmmaP
New Contributor

Re: What does it mean to have cancer during COVID-19?

I have just had my first Chemo treatment  yesterday and I have 5 more to go. I am terrified of getting COVID-19 because I have a 12 year old son who needs me. I am also having  Radiation Therapy after Chemo finishes. I feel alone because family and friends can't help out and most support services are closed down. I also suffer from a chronic mental illness which I normally access treatment in hospital every 6 weeks but the treatment has been suspended.  I become very unwell without my mental health treatment and nothing else works.  So I feel I have Cancer working against me, my mental health working against me, limited support and now COVID-19. Most days I can be positive but today I am feeling anxious and down.

Aroha
Cancer Council NSW

Thank you @EmmaP  for sharing your story. Being a mother myself I can only imagine the emotions you are going through right now, needing to be there for your son but at the same time needing to be there for yourself and limited support because of coronavirus. I really hope you are able to find some comfort and strength in these forums from people who have gone through or are going through similar experiences. And that these experiences provide words of kindness and strength to hold you up on those days you need it most, like today.

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Stay strong EmmaP. Your story is a touching one. I can only hope that you can get through all of the challenges,  in the way to good health,  unscathed.

This population of cancer patients are a little like a defacto family. As a family we all pull together. When your feeling down, take the opportunity to vent your feelings here. Someone will see you and do the best things possible to lift your spirit.

I hope your son is able to give you a hand around the house / garden. Helping out where he can, is a great excuse to do things together. A bonding session, behind the scenes, so to speak.

In those quiet times, when your mind is running away & you feel anxious, think of the good things you’ve been able to do with your son & family.

We’re here EmmaP, with open eyes, ears and mind, if you want to vent.

Take care, look after your health and great success with the treatment.

Lindsay

Corryne
New Contributor

Thinking of you. Hugs

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.