Argument

Possum12345

Argument

Hi

my dad has stage 3B lung cancer. We found out last March and he had been getting treatment throughout that time. I thought I was doing well with coping with this but as of late, my dad has been getting progressively worse and we have found out today that his tumours in his lungs have gotten bigger. We had a fight the other night and he hasn’t talked to me properly since, he only told me that he never wants to speak to me again and that he couldn’t even stand to look at me. This is after I tried to resolve the issue. What he said is really impacting on me because all I can think about now is what if he dies suddenly while we are still on bad terms and this is the last memory I have with him. He is a very stubborn man and I don’t know what to do because I love him so much and I want us to move past this. 

No one will probably reply to this anyway but I just needed to get this off of my chest, it’s making me feel so so sad, if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it, I don’t want to leave things until it’s too late and regret it for the rest of my life. I want my last memories of him to be happy.

2 REPLIES 2
CathyB
New Contributor

Re: Argument

Hello,

I'm not sure what to say to you, other than I now my daughter goes through some stages where she is very angry, and unfortunately takes it out on me, the one who cares for her the most.

Hang in there and keep trying to resolve things, it is very hard, and I understand totally.

It helps to put your thoughts in writing in this forum, i know it is helping me alot.

Be strong Smiley Happy

iloveyoudearly7
Frequent Contributor

Re: Argument

I find that arguments during stressful times are mostly simply temporarily. Fear of anything creates angry, feeling of helplessness creates frustration. It's an natural reaction and occurrence in us all. What people say and what people meant to say, are never quite the same thing unfortunately.

Give it time, be there for him and he will eventually come around or you could apologize, just to smooth things over - if you think that will help? You don't need to be sorry for the words, you could just be sorry for the resulting situation.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.