Attending medical appointments

Philip
Occasional Contributor

Attending medical appointments

Hi, I'm trying to work out the best way to get the person we are caring for to get a second opinion on their treatment options - or at least let someone go with her to her doctor appointments so we all understand what's going on. She won't let anyone in with her when she has her doctor appointments. While I respect her privacy, I am concerned that she is not exploring all her options. Has anyone been in a similar situation?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Not applicable

Re: Attending medical appointments

This is a tough one Philip. Perhaps if you tackle it from another angle and ask her if you can go to the doctor to ask your questions about what to expect about her treatment and prognosis. This way the issue isn't really about them, it is about you and it may feel less threatening to their independence. You could discuss the questions you want to ask the doctor with her first to give her the opportunity to have a discussion with you. It may lead to her privacy issues. I guess the most important thing is to ask her lots of open questions and give her lots of time to answer and be really supportive. Good luck. Let us know how you get on!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.