Is it possible to get lung cancer without smoking?

Iyana271
Contributor

Is it possible to get lung cancer without smoking?

I was wondering if it is possible to get lung cancer without smoking. My uncle had never smoked and never had a single drink in his entire life but recently he got diagnosed with lung cancer. everybody was in shock that how is it possible to get lung cancer and we're worried to death.
Can anybody tell what could be the reasons for lung cancer and what are the chances of survival?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Fifihussein
New Contributor

Re: Is it possible to get lung cancer without smoking?

Hi, and sorry for the bews, unfortunately it happens.

My father in law never smoked in hus life, he never even sat in room when someone was smoking, he had no smoking signs all over his house as no one was allowed to smoke at his place, unfortunately early last year he was diagnozed with lung cancer, it was a huge shock for every one, he had 1 lung removed, had chemotherapy and radiotherapy, the survival rate wasn't very good, but he actually ended up baten the cancer, all the doctors were surprised and told him that tge fact he didnt smoke actually helped his survival rate, when he was first diagnozed the doctors gave him 6 month to live, its over a year now, and thank god he is doing very well. 

So keep your hope up. 

0 Kudos
Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Hi Lyons,

yes it’s true. Any cancer can affect anybody and in any way. I am very sorry your uncle has had this diagnosis. Let’s just hope he can fight the good fight & get on top of it. And soon.

You are a very good niece to care & worry about your uncle so much. You have taken time to seek information from this site, which proves you care. The very least we can do, as a community, is offer you & your uncle our support.

Take care of your uncle, and take care of yourself.

Lindsay

0 Kudos
Iyana271
Contributor

Thanks for your kind words, I hope it will go the same with my uncle & I really hope that he will recover soon.

It feels really good after hearing that your father in law has survived from this horrific disease and I wish him a healthy life ahead.

Btw can you tell if there were any side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy and what did the doctor suggest to deal with those side effects? 

0 Kudos
Iyana271
Contributor

Thanks for taking your precious time to reply here, I really appreciate and love that I have a support of all of you. I'm just worried about my uncle & trying to find out the options through which he can recover soon. 

Here are so many knowledgeable people so I thought it will be a great help for me.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.