My wife is recovering from a Whipple procedure

Opacity
Occasional Contributor

Re: My wife is recovering from a Whipple procedure

Hi Grahame (and Chris) 

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on September 1st 2022 at age 77.  Initially I was keen on having the Whipple procedure but I had to undergo chemo first, to kill the

cancer cells that had spread to the four nearest lymph glands. (I was diagnosed quite early because of jaundice caused by a duct blockage between pancreas and liver.)

But unhappily I had a devastating reaction to the chemo, bloating, gas, diarrhoea, nausea and extreme stomach cramps. After three fortnightly doses I decided not to continue. At that point, death would have been welcome. I feared that the Whipple procedure would cause more digestive distress than I could bear, so I chickened out. I then had five weeks of radiation therapy. A few weeks later, another CT scan showed the primary cancer had shrunk to 2cm and the ducts and lymph glands were clear!  Three months later, my most recent CT scan showed even more shrinkage of the tumour. All my vitals and blood tests were excellent, even for a 77 year old grandmother! The only meds that I took between the scans was medical CBD oil so that was interesting!? My next scan is due on October 25 so I will keep you updated. (Sorry this is so long but I’m hoping my little successes will give your wife some extra positivity.)
I send my best wishes and heartfelt sympathy to Chris. I hope she goes from strength to strength, and I’m sure your support means the world to her.  I now live with my daughter who is my carer, secretary, cook, chauffeur and shoulder to cry on. She has been absolutely remarkable and I know you will be the same for your wife.  Bless you both. Please keep posting!

0 Kudos
Grahame51
Occasional Contributor

Re: My wife is recovering from a Whipple procedure

HI Folks'

Chris did her first chemo session this last Wednesday and came home with a pump that stayed with her until yesterday  (Friday). She had been in dread of what the side effects would be.

Her joke about her pump is " Say hello to my little friend and points it like a gun.

So far all I have noticed is her susceptibility to cold, something we had been warned about.

We were unpacking groceries and Chris picked up a leek (we love leek and potato soup) and dropped  it with a howl.She said it was like  half electric shock and half having her fingers stuck to dry ice. The leek had only been stored in the Woolies cool cabinet , not the freezer.

We have to wash her clothes and eating utensils separately due to the cytotoxic possibilities of the chemo chemicals. Until one of the Oncology nurses explained it,I was unaware they chemo drugs in Chris bodily fluids could cancer to carers.

We are just taking it day by day for the moment.

Kindest regards to all

Grahame51

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.