Pancreatic Cancer

Meltx19
New Contributor

Pancreatic Cancer

My husband had Whipple Surgery Apri 1, 2019 horrible pain difficulty with eating lots of gas and  frustration. We need support encouragement and hope as we enter int chemo in June. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Pancreatic Cancer

Meltx19

I had a Whipple in 2010 I remember the first few months after,yes the pain does stay around for awhile after surgery ,over a period of time it should become more bearable,the more he can move around the better it helps in a quicker recovery ,getting used to food and what you can eat is a hurdle in itself ,I lived on hospital sustagen smoothies with a banana blended in also scrambled eggs on toast you just have to force some food in ,I had Creon before food to help,in time the gas will settle,but it is still very early days for your husband I took a stool softener,So I wouldn’t strain,it’s trial and error with food but small portions are the way to go,everyone’s body reaction is different to the effects from chemo,have an open mind when it commences ,wait and see how it goes ,also try and take it one day at a time.If you have any questions just ask.

Meltx19
New Contributor

Kj thank you for replying. I just sat through a rough discussion. It seems I can’t do anything right. He tells those in my family all he should tell me. I get slammed and ostracized for being real and even scared. This is not easy on him yet not on me. 

My heart is to help. My need is for him to live. You encouraged me that you are doing well wow 2010. Cancer is a beastly experience and a journey that no one can know how you will feel or react and even possibly regret. 

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Meltx19

You are right to look realistic with Pancreatic Cancer , it’s hard to overcome the changes in your body that are there after surgery and also the mental side ,I think depression can come with this diagnosis ,Its understandable your husbands frustration ,but it does not help either of you ,I remember the worry and concern my family went through along the way,we did find talking about our problems helped ,nothing was taboo.It may help if you both chat to your GP about what is happening ,he may be able to suggest something more to help.The Cancer Council also have services available .

It’s very hard to see a loved one go through this,yes it does hurt you very much watching what is happening and feeling helpless,that’s a very hard part of life

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.