confused

powellypup
New Contributor

confused

Hey everyone. Firstly thanks for reading. My mum has NSCLC, stage 4 as far as I know..She did Chemo for a year. (didnt work), then TARCEVA for 3 months (didnt work).. Now she is left with natural therepy options. Which she is looking into including B17. She is a fighter. She is fortunate to have dad there to help, and me just around the corner to help him. I just wish I knew roughly how long she had left with us..It makes me feel guilty thinking like this. I dont know, which is why im confused..She gets Oxygen to help this week..What makes it more confusing is her sister lost her fight with Lung cancer in March, just 8 weeks after stopping Radiation.. I just want to help mum and dad, and keep my brother and sister in the loop as they live away.. Cancer Blows
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Terrafirma
Contributor

Re: confused

Hi Powellypup, Your world has been turned upside down as you say and while there's always hope and who knows what the future may hold, I suppose looking at things realistically, your mum may pass away soon. You may find it valuable in helping prepare you and your family for this eventuality, by reading the following article - it addresses the issue "Many lung cancer patients and their loved ones want to know what to expect when dying of lung cancer". It's a sensitive but frank discussion, and if you visit the article, I would suggest reading a little bit, and if you think you may find the discussion distressing, then give it a miss or ask a friend to read it. http://dying.about.com/od/thedyingprocess/f/dying_of_lung_cancer.htm My other suggestion is for you and your family to prepare for the eventuality of your mother passing sooner than you expect, so you can do some thinking in the near future about both practical aspects and whether there are things to say or to talk about with your mum while there is opportunity to do so. I stress that I'm not medically trained so I'm offering my personal opinions here. I hope your mum can stay in this world with your dad and you and family for many many months to come. Ed.
0 Kudos
powellypup
New Contributor

Re: confused

thanks for the comments Terrafirma, and I will have a look at the link ASAP. Mum is on oxygen now nearly 24/7. and she has started some group healing. I like that she is doing this as positive thoughts can only make her life more bareable. Dad finally has DVA coming around once a fortnight to help with general things, which is fantastic. Now I just need to teach him how to clean, and become domesticated. cancer sucks.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.