families living with gbm

purpleangels
Contributor

Re: families living with gbm

Hi there! While my husband did not have gbm, he had a rare cancer of the peritoneum......and you describe our lives exactly. I wanted him to be able to run around with our kids, work, surf, play guitar REALLY LOUD, but cancer robbed him and us of all of these things. Be kind to yourself. Have you looked in to in home family day care? In the last six months of my husband's disease, we had an amazing lady who came and looked after the kids for me two afternoons a week so I could have a break, cook dinner without constant interruption, bath the kids, ride my bike.......and we qualified for special child care benefit, as my husband was unable to care for the children. It is so worth it. Also, the local Palliative support team at the hospital have been so helpful and supportive too. Helpful with medication, treatment options, explaining stuff, a shoulder to cry on that is not the family........ My husband's suffering ended in February this year, and our five year old and seven year old are really hurting.....but we will absolutely get through this....stronger than before and closer than before. Some days are ally hard, and it is five minutes at a time......but other days life runs almost to plan and you have to cherish those moments. Good luck on your journey......I've been there and know where you are at! PA
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.