mums cancer

gail
New Contributor

mums cancer

Hi my name is gail im 44yrs old and have just lost my best friend(my mum) to cancer,which was diagnosed on the 14th jan 2008.  My whole world has been turned upside down since that horrible day in january when my mum and i  were in the doctors office and he told us that she had secondary liver cancer.  Im having trouble dealing with nearly everything at the moment and eas wondering if anyone out there would like to talk.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable

mums cancer

Hi Gail, I am really sorry to hear about your mother & losing her so quickly from the diagnosis in January must be a terrible shock for you. I finished my treatment about 18 months ago, but my mum (also my best friend) has just been diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time in 10 years she is having more surgery and then we will see the results from there. It is just such a shock to see someone you love have to go through all of the pain and hurt associated with this disease. I dont really know what to say to you, just know that we hear you on this forum  & would be happy to chat anytime you need to. You may find the cancer council help line would be good for you (I think they have trained people to help deal with grief) also the hospital where your mother was treated may be able to point you in the right direction towards a grief counsellor. I check in here often so please feel free to post me a message anytime. All the best. Butterfly
0 Kudos
Bridie
New Contributor

mums cancer

Hi Gail, I'm 27 & about to loose my step dad from gall bladder cancer (he has basically been my dad). I can't believe it, 3 weeks ago I got married, I was so lucky to have him walk me down the isle, now we are making funeral preperations... It is devastating to see them so sick & even worse to see they have accepted death as a given & want to go. I'm having trouble dealing with it too, the mountain looks unclimbable. I wonder if the need to cry all the time will subside. I am told it will. I'm so worried about my mum, I need to get her thru it more than me... Thanks, Bridie
0 Kudos
feisty2
Not applicable

mums cancer

Hi  im 17 i lost my mother in Feb due to cancer so i know the feeling...  im just about to lose my nan whom ive lived with 4 2 years... i looked after my mum i learnt how to feed her and give her her medication yet for her to get ripped away ... she left behind 5 kids from 8-25 i have an 8 year old brother who i am putting through couciling because he tells me he wants to die and hates his life and why does everyone have mum but him i just dont know how to answer that question ?? anyone have any advice on what to do?
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.