18 yr old daughter with germinoma brain tumour

mer59
Not applicable

18 yr old daughter with germinoma brain tumour

Hi everybody My first posting on this site. Good to know there's a community out there to support us all. I'm very keen to hear from anyone and especially those like me who have teenage children going through cancer treatment as like many of you have mentioned in your posts, it feels like you're the only one in the world. My daughter was diagnosed with a bifrontal primary brain tumour at end of June last year and it's been a wild ride through surgery, 3 cycles of chemo and 6 weeks of radiotherapy. Germinomas are usually very responsive to this type of aggressive medical treatment and we're very thankful that this is the case for our daughter. Now it's the rehab road as an outpatient to build new pathways in physio, OT and Sp Pathology with short term memory being a particular challenge for her. As an middle distance athlete, she still has that muscle memory but just needs lots of strength work to recover from the stripping away of muscle from extended doses of steroids. Our challenge at the moment is trying to get enough rehab for her that we don't have to pay for as services for outpatients are quite limited. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has been in a similar situation with Medibank or other health funds. Finding out what they do actually is very difficult as each time you ring, you get different answers. Wishing you all the very best in your journeys. It's a very steep learning curve.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.