Rectal wound healing after Stoma operation and bum sewn up

KellyK99229
New Contributor

Rectal wound healing after Stoma operation and bum sewn up

Hi Everyone, Not sure if anyone can help me.. My partner has just had a permanently colostomy with his rectum removed and sewn up. I can't remember the name of it. Forgive my ignorance. Anyway, his rectal wound broke down slightly while in hospital which resulted in him staying for 4 weeks rather than 10 days after the operation. He is now home, and the smell coming from his rectal wound is so overbearing that I can barely stand to be in the same room (of course I don't let him know this and I stay with him etc). The pain is also now so unbearable that he can't have the nurse that visits each day for dressing changes, come anywhere near him. I wanted to hear from anyone that has experience with this surgery to know if this is normal? Being the rectum, I know it produces mucous and the huge wound will continue to ooze while healing, but the smell and pain being so extensive would indicate a bad infection to me... He refuses to see a doctor and won't listen to my concerns, so I just want someone to tell me its normal and ease my mind (Or that its not so I can force him to the doctor/hospital). Sorry for the epic post. Any help appreciated!!! Kelly
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.