Younger brother (23yrs) - Sarcoma metastasized to bones

Xcruciator
New Contributor

Younger brother (23yrs) - Sarcoma metastasized to bones

Hello everyone,

My younger brother (23yrs) has been diagnosed with Fibroblastic osteosarcoma which has metastasized to his bones. He is undergoing chemotherapy (Etoposide and Ifosfamide) and is due a PET Scan next week. He has also been administered a dose of Zol acid. My question is, are there any specific treatment options that I can explore to manage his lifestyle with bone mets. Anyone out there who has been managing their life with bone mets, please advise. I'm like a deer in headlights .

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
looker_labs
Contributor

Re: Younger brother (23yrs) - Sarcoma metastasized to bones

I'm assuming the sarcoma was removed.

That is 'agressive' chemotherapy.

radiation to the affected bones is recomended

after which there will likely be necrosis

this can be remedied by osteo-surgical replacement

with cadaver material.

I don't want to tell you how serious this is

I'd say about as much as lukemia

0 Kudos
Xcruciator
New Contributor

Re: Younger brother (23yrs) - Sarcoma metastasized to bones

Thanks for the response. Yes, I should have added that in my initial post itself. The Sarcoma (high grade) was removed by resection of the knee and part of his tibia. The surgery wound took almost 3 weeks to heal which delayed the chemotherapy. The metastasis happened  in those 3 weeks, since the PET before the tumor resection surgery showed no mets.  The doctors want to do another round of chemo (3 done, one more to go) and then they will reassess the situation. Radiation would definitely be on the menu. On the necrosis and it's remedy, what if the bone mets are in areas that aren't operable?

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.